Author Topic: 2015 Avalon spark plug/coil replacement cost?  (Read 3208 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
2015 Avalon spark plug/coil replacement cost?
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
Just got off the phone with a friend and he wanted to run some auto repair quotes by me. Apparently when he took his car to a dealership he was quoted $1400 for spark plug and coil replacement on his car. I've never worked on an Avalon and can't compare it to previous work, but that sounds a bit high -- even when considering dealer pricing and OEM Toyota parts.

Does anyone have any experience with this repair, and the approx. cost for doing this service? 

Offline Matt_T

Re: 2015 Avalon spark plug/coil replacement cost?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
Just took a quick look on Rock Auto and you're looking at $400 for good aftermarket parts from them. Not sure how bad 'yotas OE part prices are but you can probably figure double RAs prices.

That'd leave $600 for labor which I'm guessing is 4 to 5 hours up where you are. That seems a little high but not way out of line.

If you want to make a little pocket money tell him you'll do it for $800 ;D

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
Just took a quick look on Rock Auto and you're looking at $400 for good aftermarket parts from them. Not sure how bad 'yotas OE part prices are but you can probably figure double RAs prices.

That'd leave $600 for labor which I'm guessing is 4 to 5 hours up where you are. That seems a little high but not way out of line.

If you want to make a little pocket money tell him you'll do it for $800 ;D

Thank you Matt -- much appreciated. I had no way of substantiating this estimate, but I guess it's within the feasible region. I'll let him know. Dealer service pricing (especially Japanese dealers) is VERY high in our area -- almost outrageous.

I won't touch his beloved Toyota -- I have enough on my plate with our own cars. My buddy merely sought my help to make sure he wasn't "being taken for a ride" by the dealership.

Again -- many thanks!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »
They are called stealerships for a reason!  ;D
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »
How many miles on that car?  2015 sounds too new to be needing $1400 worth of work

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »
is it a hybrid?