Author Topic: Need diagnostic help with my well.  (Read 7219 times)

Offline m_fumich

Need diagnostic help with my well.
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »
Water comes out of my rap looking like I shook up a can of Sprite. Even though I’m not experiencing any side effects, I know this is not normal. We are on our own well and not the municipal supply. Can someone tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

Re: Need diagnostic help with my well.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »
are you saying is fizzy like a sprite or has lots of air in it? If its just air bubbles the settle out in the water the pump is on its way out or your system is sucking air somewhere.  Take a sample and get it tested, many water services will even do this free to get you on the hook for their services.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »
It’s just air. When I filled a 6 qt bucket for the dogs water this morning, it was practically white from all the air. It cleared up in less than a minute. The water taste fine. When I ran water in the bathroom sink a few minutes later, it caught and spit like I had drained the line but I don’t know if that’s related or not.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »
I just went out to feed the dogs and discovered I left the hydrant by the barn running for the last 22 hours. I’m sure that had something to do with the spitting and coughing from the bathroom sink. It didn’t cause the air bubble problem. We’ve had that for a while.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:28:24 AM »
What kind of well?  Deep submersible pump, or jet pump?  Did the bladder fail on your pressure tank?  Turn a tap on, then turn the tap off when the pump starts.  How long does the pump then run?  Post a pic of your tank and controls.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
What kind of well?  Deep submersible pump, or jet pump?  Did the bladder fail on your pressure tank?  Turn a tap on, then turn the tap off when the pump starts.  How long does the pump then run?  Post a pic of your tank and controls.

It’s a submersible pump. We don’t have any pressure or flow issues. Pressure tank is buried. I’ll try to time the pump in a bit.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:14 AM »
Guessing the 22 hour run ran down the water level in your well to the point where the pump was sucking air.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
well point may be plugged causing excess vacuum,  made worse by the water running so long.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
The problem with the air bubbles long precedes the water being left on. It’s been like that for months. Possibly as long as we’ve had the house which is 10 months. I haven’t done anything about it since it’s not causing any problems. I’m just concerned it’s an indication of a future problem.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
The pressure switch is 10” down the pipe. I can’t here it click on and off unless I pull it out. I’ll do that later.

Level of water in the well isn’t likely a factor. Not even second hand have I ever heard of a well around here going dry.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
OK, my well experience only includes homes with basements.  The tank and switch are easy to get to when they are in the basement.  How about this?  Pull the cap off the well head.  Hook up a garden hose to a spigot.  Run the hose with your ear over the well.  You should be able to hear the pressure switch click on and off.  Stop the flow of water when the pump starts, and start timing.

You are looking for 60 seconds of run time after the pump clicks on, without the water running.  This test will verify that your tank is good, the correct size, and not waterlogged.

Its all about the duty cycle for the pump.  Short cycling the pump shortens the life of the pump.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »

Hook up a garden hose to a spigot.  Run the hose with your ear over the well.  You should be able to hear the pressure switch click on and off.  Stop the flow of water when the pump starts, and start timing.

I actually have a 3’ hose section that would perfect for this. I’ll try that shortly. Working on evening chores right now.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »
Just to be clear, don't run the water down the well, run it into the yard.  The idea is to get the pump to turn on, then time how long the pump runs.  This will test if your tank is waterlogged.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »
Just to be clear, don't run the water down the well, run it into the yard.  The idea is to get the pump to turn on, then time how long the pump runs.  This will test if your tank is waterlogged.

I got that. The short hose is just a makeshift stethoscope.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
Fortunately, that hose section is 6’ long and has factory hose connections on each end. I saw a new one at Tractor Supply packaged as a “Hose Remnant.” Anyway.....

I didn’t have to stoop too much to put the hose to the switch and my ear to the hose.

Here’s the short story.
30 seconds to bring the tank back up to pressure.
78 seconds of the hose running for the pump to turn back on.
30 seconds to bring the tank back up to pressure a second time.