Author Topic: Diamond pliers  (Read 1165 times)

Offline john k

Diamond pliers
« on: December 09, 2023, 07:15:04 AM »
Years ago I had an 18 inch Diamalloy water pump pliers.  Liked it a lot, it got away from me,  and began to notice the Diamond brand tools were getting scarce.  Turns out they were bought out by Channelock in the 90s.  Ever the champion of the under dog and lost causes, I began searching out Diamond brands, Diamalloy tools, and the Diamond Caulk horse shoe adjustable wrenches.   Have nearly completed a set of Diamond pliers.  Recently came across the giant 21 inch water pump pliers, all with the green handles.  Even found 14 inch pair In NOS condition.  These are all in my big tool box and get used, often.  Nothing against the blue handle brand, just the Diamond brand 12 inch adjustable (crescent) style were my dad's favorite, we kept one on each farm tractor.  Guess what has not come my way, the 18 inch! 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Diamond pliers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »
I have several Diamond brand tools, a couple of them are adjustable wrenches, the other two or three are pliers.

As a kid of 16 working at the local Ace Hdw store I had a 50% discount on tools. Sadly, I did not take full advantage of that, only bought a few things here and there. Thinking Cman far superior I passed on most of the opportunity I had with my huge discount. Had I bought what I should have at 16 I would have been heavy on Indestro sockets, drive gear and wrenches, heavy on Diamond, Chancellor brands, Vaco, Wiss, Plumb hammers, Wilton C clamps, etc.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
Grab all the old classic USA tools you find I always say.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 08:45:47 AM »
Found it, a Diamond Calk 18 inch adjustable wrench.  Unusual for me is it didnt need rust removal, or even lube to work.  Older, in the black, not a fancy chrome model.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 10:14:47 AM »
You're all gonna hate this lucky guy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:00:02 AM »
Great deal if you are going to resell all the doubles and triples, otherwise not so smart in my opinion. I think that guy just hoards all that stuff and doesn't resell it. $1,600 is a lot of coin to drop with no plans to sell off the extras.

I think I would rather have the money than the tools. Plus, no way would I plunk down that much money and have no clue what I was buying, sight unseen? Hell nno.I have to wonder about a guy like that myself. Nice tools though. But, in the end, tools are tools ya know.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 12:16:28 PM »
Great deal if you are going to resell all the doubles and triples, otherwise not so smart in my opinion. I think that guy just hoards all that stuff and doesn't resell it. $1,600 is a lot of coin to drop with no plans to sell off the extras.

I think I would rather have the money than the tools. Plus, no way would I plunk down that much money and have no clue what I was buying, sight unseen? Hell nno.I have to wonder about a guy like that myself. Nice tools though. But, in the end, tools are tools ya know.
I think basically the tools were listed but just not pictured.
I agree it wasn't smart to buy all this if you're not going to resell it.
I also think he kind of payed retail for it, some of the prices maybe were lower like for the large Tongue & grooves but most were probably priced right at what HJE would sell it for.
Some of that has been available from HJE in the past couple years too like the Crescent screwdriver sets.
Always lookin' to learn