Author Topic: painting tools  (Read 10272 times)

Offline strik9

• X
painting tools
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »
Like it or not these are the tools I have spent most weekends with the last months.  New construction and thirsty stucco have been my nemysis.

I ran out of exterior paint and money so the last few weeks these have not been used much.

From a yard of extension to 11' possible so those 2nd floor outer walls are not impossible.  A hair difficult no doubt.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: painting tools
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
The other picture

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
Painting is not one of my favorite things. Better than drywall I suppose.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
Anything is better than drywall work, but removing wall paper comes in at a close second.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
LOL true enough. At one time I loved to hang wallpaper but the thought sends a cold shot across my heart now.

I did a bunch of remodeling here and thought I was done with the drywalling until two weeks ago when  there was a faulty valve accessed either by ripping out tile in the shower or going through the drywall in the back.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
No drywall here.  I do plaster spot fill on the stucco but any in wall repair is chipping through cement and block or brick.  Then refill with cement.

Electric is all in plastic conduit so that pulls box to box. 

This cheapo stuff I have been using has been pretty poor.  Some left over from previous stages of build and some picked up recently.  Three attempts at an adequate roller pad and most lower price paints only serve as base coat.  The tropical storms blow hard through here and show all faults afterward.  Even low end roller frames losing grip on the roller pad plagued me for a bit.  I can't wait to stuff this all back into deep storage.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
Your description does not make painting any more attractive. And chipping through concrete even less so.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
I'll mix paint.....and leave the application to others!

After repainting some severely faded trim on the house I think I'm set for a few years. The wife picked this denim blue color, and it faded to a sickly pink/purple. It had a deep magenta component in the mix.
Finally took some time on the paint machine at the store and color matched the original paint can to a formula that didn't have the magenta component. Hopefully when it fades it'll be a light blue or blue gray.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:34:54 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
Interior was ok even ceilings.  Those outer walls play fears as much as talent and tools.  I wish I had any help at all to finish that soon. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:18:42 PM by strik9 »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
Another...

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 09:35:05 PM »
I feel your pain B-man. When we built the shop 7 years ago we painted it a earth tone brown to match the house. The house had been painted 4 years earlier and I had a can with the mix code on it and found out that Behr had changed the base formula. They mixed me a sample and I painted a spot which dried a close enough match to the house paint. Now the shop is a different shade of purple on every side and sticks out even a mile away. Never will I use Behr exterior paint again as changing the base formula killed it. I don't even want to think about painting 16' high walls with 24' high ends. >:(

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
What? No love for drywall and painting?

Don't skimp on your brushes and covers. That'll turn a simple paint job into a misery.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 10:08:51 PM »
The master bed is the upper without windows yet.  It measures 5m square and the walk in closet is 2.5 x 5m.  Still empty and open without windows.

I painted first coat from the window hole.    Not fun.  Still a 2nd coat to go....  and the side walls...

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
The house looks good but clearly you have your work cut out for you.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
What? No love for drywall and painting?

Don't skimp on your brushes and covers. That'll turn a simple paint job into a misery.

The odd part is a low density deep pile roller cover that cost 18 peso worked best on rough stucco.   The higher density and less than 1" pile just were not as good.  I paid more for the ones I only used once by double.  Not wasted as other rooms have smooth walls.
  I have a nice trim brush and grab some POS dollar store thing near every time.  It just keeps working well. 

I have all accessable areas done now and retouched areas messed up with flying cement blobs but those outer walls don't amuse me. 

These projects are real work.