Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687294 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2715 on: March 14, 2023, 06:31:52 PM »
Ordered a pair of headlight assemblies for the Buick. One was $97, the other was $111. Asked why, the counter person didn't know why. I ain't complaining, though, because I hear modern cars post-like 2016 have computers in the headlights. And cost like $2000 each!

Took the time to work on the header assembly which holds the front grill, emblem plate, and half of each headlight. Was some sort of fiberglass material. Tried cutting thru it with cutting wheels on a dremel - ate the wheels up in about an inch! Transferred to chipper bits, and excavated enough material to get it smooth and allowed movement. The passenger side was intact, so, used it as the guide for height and placement of the driver side pieces. The superglue and baking soda worked like a charm, and used some half-set ABS glue as bulk filler. Two days drying, and the whole thing is pretty stiff. So good to go!

Bumper cover and ring supports up next.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2716 on: March 14, 2023, 07:29:05 PM »
Pulled the body off the frame of my Cutlass and got the frame stripped.  Onward (as Ray says)!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2717 on: March 19, 2023, 07:57:29 PM »
New headlights came in Friday, got the fiberglass header repaired last week. Worked yesterday and today for several hours each repairing the grill trim and bumper cover. Installed the headlights and touched up paint.
Need to do a slight repair on the grill emblem and border, but the car is just about done. The Mrs. can take it to work tomorrow and when she gets home I'll inspect all the bolts and screws to make sure nothing has vibrated loose. When the grill is done and installed I'll take pics. But in the main she's done. My knees ache and my back hurts but I saved who knows how many thousands of dollars.

Oh that superglue and baking soda accelerant idea worked great!

Offline muddy

« Reply #2718 on: April 02, 2023, 09:49:30 PM »
Road to the club for our first poker run of the year.

Came home napped a bit, then took the dog for a walk after supper.

Tonight I played around with my new airbrush setup. Sprayed some primer on a cheap funnel to play around and learn. It handled opposite of what I expected. I expected to start out with tomsnofnpaint coming out and runs. But I actually had to turn up the pressure and adjust it heavier spray pattern. Pretty happy with how it works albeit I don't have any prior experience.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2719 on: April 03, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »
Pretty cool setup. Did all that stuff come in one kit? I like the idea of a mini paint booth for spraying -- very cool. When I did that kind of work, I usually scavenged  a large carboard box with a fan and filter mounted to the back to pull fumes. This setup is so much easier and way more elegant. Congrats Tim!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2720 on: April 03, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
I've been a Freemason for about 24 years now, was installed as "Worshipful Master" (aka President of the club) on Saturday.  Even trimmed my beard for the occasion!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2721 on: April 03, 2023, 12:14:02 PM »
Here is the final result. No before pictures, as I was originally planning to have the work done for me. Couldn't see going thru insurance and having them total the car. I could have bought it back, but only with a salvage title. Fixing it my way avoided all that and was pretty cheap, with the title intact.

2002 Buick Century Custom, just frontal plastic damage. I'd say it's passable, not pristine work (I am no body man). The headlights were getting foggy, so replacing them was necessary anyway. At least now I don't have to look at the gaping damage hole anymore. The front edge of the hood is the worst looking, but a new hood was $650 plus shipping and painting. Decided a 21 year old car could live with a few more dents.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:15:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2722 on: April 03, 2023, 12:17:02 PM »
I've been a Freemason for about 24 years now, was installed as "Worshipful Master" (aka President of the club) on Saturday.  Even trimmed my beard for the occasion!

congrats!

ya clean up pretty good for an old fart!  :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2723 on: April 03, 2023, 02:42:58 PM »

Congrats, I am sure you will be busy keeping the order running smoothly.  Hopefully you have some folks to help.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2724 on: April 03, 2023, 03:57:32 PM »
Here is the final result. No before pictures, as I was originally planning to have the work done for me. Couldn't see going thru insurance and having them total the car. I could have bought it back, but only with a salvage title. Fixing it my way avoided all that and was pretty cheap, with the title intact.

2002 Buick Century Custom, just frontal plastic damage. I'd say it's passable, not pristine work (I am no body man). The headlights were getting foggy, so replacing them was necessary anyway. At least now I don't have to look at the gaping damage hole anymore. The front edge of the hood is the worst looking, but a new hood was $650 plus shipping and painting. Decided a 21 year old car could live with a few more dents.

If you check you might just find one that is a color match with little to no damage at a fraction of the cost in or with the help of a salvage yard.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2725 on: April 03, 2023, 03:59:10 PM »

Huge congratulations! What an accomplishment  and honor!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2726 on: April 03, 2023, 04:07:09 PM »

Big congrats on the honor that was bestowed on you Clay. Well deserved I'm sure. Hope you enjoy the new responsibilities within the organization.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2727 on: April 03, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »

Lookin good George -- well done! They may not be sexy, but those model years were some of the smoothest and most reliable cars ever made by GM. I'd definitely try to keep it on the road as long as I could. Reliable, and cheap/easy to fix -- that's a hard combination to find on cars these days.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2728 on: April 03, 2023, 09:00:58 PM »

[/quote]If you check you might just find one that is a color match with little to no damage at a fraction of the cost in or with the help of a salvage yard.
[/quote]

Actually had a can of some appliance enamel that by golly came out to a near perfect match to the car color. A few weeks of Tucson sun and some road grit hitting it and I'm sure nobody but me will notice the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7887830-Specialty-Appliance-Stainless/dp/B0009XB3JU
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:21:17 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2729 on: April 03, 2023, 09:26:17 PM »

Congratulations. Not sure what of the proper greeting would be so excuse the lack of etiquette.

The beard looks great.

I have a goatee and mustache. My wife and I are always in discussion about me trimming it. I like the natural look she likes it trim and neat. Usually when I have the barber trim it my instructions are keep it long and not too neat. I'd do it myself but... I can get one side perfect but never get the other side to match.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.