Author Topic: Home defense firearm choices - reality is a bitch!  (Read 5326 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Home defense firearm choices - reality is a bitch!
« on: March 02, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »
The number of surveys done to determine what people perceive to be the most effective home defense firearm/ammunition combination is staggering. Just a quick look at YouTube will get hundreds of hits on the topic. Yet many miss the most important factor -- noise.

If you've never shot a handgun, rifle, or shotgun in an enclosed space before, (i.e. the square footage of your house hallway or bedroom), then you'd be in for a very unpleasant surprise -- not to mention hearing impaired for the following few days/weeks. Depending on the firearm, the over-pressure from a blast in such a confined space will bust your eardrums in a split second. Worst offender is a short barreled .223/5.56 AR pistol - it can literally burst your eardrums and knock you out when fired in a confined space -- even cause permanent hearing loss. 

I write this because I witnessed another heated argument about firearm/caliber choices for home protection this weekend at the range-- the commonly accepted trope concerning  "stopping power" is mute if you can only get one round off and afterward your head/ears are seething in pain (or worse you're incapacitated).

Point is -- choose wisely and recognize that shooting inside a confined space changes the firearm/caliber dynamic very radically.

Offline slip knot

Re: Home defense firearm choices - reality is a bitch!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »
Lots of variables to look at with home defense. Stopping power isn’t the only thing to worry about. Over penetration is one that few consider. Shoot a jacketed round in a residential setting and it may penetrate 2-3 houses before it stops

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
I always thought a short barreled semi auto 20ga with a suppressor would make a sweet house gun, but then I wouldn't be able to afford the house. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 05:04:53 PM »
A shotgun is a great closeup weapon but a 12ga is very loud. A .44 mag will knock them back out the door if they come in that way but your hearing will be gone. I think a 9mm with hollow point and/or home defense rounds will do the job but your hearing will suffer regardless of the weapon. My daily carry is always the closet available so that is what I will use.
Fortunately home invasions are pretty rare around here as the dirtbags know it is suicide.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:23:13 PM »
I keep a .38 with a four inch barrel in the dresser. The wife knows exactly where it is, it is dead simple to use and ultra reliable. No kids in the house, so loaded with +P ammo. It hits minute of pie plate at the doorway to our bedroom. Recoil isn't bad and if I ever had to go in front of a judge it doesn't look like I'm a nut.

People put way to too much thought into this and it takes them down blind alleys. What do you need? What will always work? How hard is it for a non-gun nut  to use? What will it look like to a jury? Will it do its job? The last thing I want is my wife, not a shooter, trying to remember the safety on an auto, muzzle flip from a .45 or racking a shotgun. Keep it simple.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 06:45:11 PM »
I agree with the KISS principle myself. My EDC is a S&W airweight. The wife has a regular J frame S&W both in 38. Still make a hell of a racket fired indoors.

A bit off topic but does anyone carry CHL liability insurance? I've been looking at this lately, seeing all the LEO shoots getting second guessed really makes me wonder what would happen to a CHL self defense shoot if the family wanted to sue civilly. even if its a sketchy suit you still have to defend yourself.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »
I agree with the KISS principle myself. My EDC is a S&W airweight. The wife has a regular J frame S&W both in 38. Still make a hell of a racket fired indoors.

A bit off topic but does anyone carry CHL liability insurance? I've been looking at this lately, seeing all the LEO shoots getting second guessed really makes me wonder what would happen to a CHL self defense shoot if the family wanted to sue civilly. even if its a sketchy suit you still have to defend yourself.

Good idea to look at insurance offerings. Those that live in a "stand your ground" state are better protected than others. Hence it makes sense to carry insurance if you live in one of the states that do not have a "stand your ground" legal framework.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »

I dont know how many people have told me that carrying a j frame is crazy but I still do. It was my first carry gun and I still carry it at least once a week. I love the simplistic nature and knowing that with at most two squeezes of the trigger it will go bang. The lack of holding capacity and carrying extra ammo is the only down fall, but I also dont look to get into a gun fight with any of my edc.

I dont have chl insurance, I dont think the risk is worth the cost of the insurance where I live and work. If I still worked nights in NOLA I probably would.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 09:01:06 AM »

I think that's part of the whole criminal mentality. They've learned that the system protects their rights even while they're violating yours.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
A shotgun is a great closeup weapon but a 12ga is very loud. A .44 mag will knock them back out the door if they come in that way but your hearing will be gone. I think a 9mm with hollow point and/or home defense rounds will do the job but your hearing will suffer regardless of the weapon. My daily carry is always the closet available so that is what I will use.
Fortunately home invasions are pretty rare around here as the dirtbags know it is suicide.

2 good suggestions have the shot gun but a small 357, amped up dealing with an intruder, one will never hear the shots.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
I don't know....I always thought the gun form "Aliens" was pretty good. Tommy gun in 10mm over/under style with pump action shot gun.   :cool2:

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/M41A_Pulse_Rifle

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

Lots of variables to look at with home defense. Stopping power isn’t the only thing to worry about. Over penetration is one that few consider. Shoot a jacketed round in a residential setting and it may penetrate 2-3 houses before it stops

Paul Harrell just did a video on this. He is a bit long winded, but is a combat veteran, retired police and special forces and knows his shit!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Elroy

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 08:14:18 PM »
Paul Harrell..................He is a bit long winded

That's an understatement.

Truth be known.........Elroy watches Paul

Offline Rural53

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 10:40:43 PM »
An intruder looking down four .577 caliber barrels of a howdah might just reevaluate their life choices. The only problem with shooting someone in your house with a 577 Snider (BP rifle cartridge) howdah is cleaning up the mess afterwards and the very real possibility of setting the place on fire from the six foot muzzle blast!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:42:17 PM by Rural53 »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
This is what a feller needs.

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?