Author Topic: check in friends.  (Read 38829 times)

Offline walrus

Re: check in friends.
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
Back in the day we called it normal to have a pantry of food.
Yup, our grandparents who went through the depression considered emergency stocks as a normal occurrence. As in many things these days, we can learn a lot from their practices and experience.

My grandma canned veggies and made jams/jellies even in her late 80s. Didn’t have to, but it was part of her yearly routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People don't even know how cook dried beans, there have been multiple articles about it lately. I rarely if ever use canned beans, they suck compared to soaking and cooking from dry.

Offline john k

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
Was up in my old shop..  Moved a lot to the  new garage awhile back, found what i left, the mice got busy with.  Grrr

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
Back in the day we called it normal to have a pantry of food.
Yup, our grandparents who went through the depression considered emergency stocks as a normal occurrence. As in many things these days, we can learn a lot from their practices and experience.

My grandma canned veggies and made jams/jellies even in her late 80s. Didn’t have to, but it was part of her yearly routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People don't even know how cook dried beans, there have been multiple articles about it lately. I rarely if ever use canned beans, they suck compared to soaking and cooking from dry.

You are so right about the beans. I had someone give me some ham and bean soup they had made. The beans were hard as a rock.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »
I've been eating as much take out as I can while it lasts. Some of the little mom and pop cafes probably wont make it. I get 3 plates one for me one for the wife and one for lunch tomorrow. Total chaos at lunch trying to get thru these places when they aren't set up for take out.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 04:43:38 AM »
For the last week the country has closed the door to everyone except returning citizens/residents, who have to go into 14 day self isolation. On Saturday the response was increased to a Level 2 -Reduce This places further restrictions on mass gatherings (100 indoors, 500 outdoors), non-essential internal travel, physical distancing in public and high risk people advised to stay home (over 70 and those with other existing medical conditions). As I fall into the latter category I'm now working from home for the foreseeable future. My work has also reduced the number of staff in the office to less than 50%, with the rest working from home, to allow for physical distancing in the office.

Well that escalated quickly, about an hour after I wrote the above it was announced we were going to Level 3 and going to Level 4 - Eliminate within 48 hours. So as of midnight tonight people are instructed to stay at home, educational facilities closed, businesses closed except for essential services (e.g. supermarkets, pharmacies, clinics) and lifeline utilities and travel severely limited for at least four weeks.

Offline highland512

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »
Everyone in Ohio was instructed to shelter in place. Look at the road while driving many people are still out, I guess they are all essential like me  :D

The end is near though, the local gettin' place was out of stock when I went to buy some Busch Light  :91:

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 07:49:48 AM »
 :c002:
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline ken w.

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
A couple of things I've noticed in the past few years are that more folks than you think have little to no food in their home. The only freezer is on top of the fridge and it has mostly freezy pops and ice cream bars. I'm stuck here at home for a few weeks or longer  and my goal is to empty out my freezer so I can start fresh this growing season and restock on some frozen veggies and maybe a deer or 1/4 beef.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
living the dream!  :682:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
I've been eating as much take out as I can while it lasts. Some of the little mom and pop cafes probably wont make it. I get 3 plates one for me one for the wife and one for lunch tomorrow. Total chaos at lunch trying to get thru these places when they aren't set up for take out.

Agreed! :great:

Figure I can save my canned stash for when all the businesses are forced to close. I make sure I make the rounds and eat at one of our regular places, help to keep the mom and pops places going. Most can do take-out, though a few just aren't set up that way.
Been hearing about how only "essential" businesses can stay open in other states - and then find out abortion clinics and marijuana shops are considered essential. Geez.

Walmart was better stocked today - they are stocking as fast as they can. Most items I wanted were available. Though there were no human cashiers available. I had to use the self check out. Just hate using those mindless things.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Doing fine up here, but I'm thinking I chose the wrong month to retire.  Lots to do in the shop at least.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:18 PM »
Alive and well with no reason to go anywhere. SO :party0036:

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 08:22:29 AM »
 :coffee2:
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Just hanging out in the shop social distancing from the world. I do talk to the neighbors on the phone.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
Just hanging out in the shop social distancing from the world. I do talk to the neighbors on the phone.

Yeah, I guess smoke signals are still safe.  :lol_hitting: