Author Topic: How about slide rules?  (Read 23009 times)

Offline bonneyman

How about slide rules?
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »
A shaving forum I belong to has a free-for-all section where anybody can talk about anything that isn't flame-worthy. Some how slide rules came up. I thought I'd rather post pics and info here where my friends can see them and comment. With my faith in old, analog, non-electronic stuff slide rules are a necessity.
IIRC the last year they were manufactured was 1976 - right at the start of the digital calculator era. I just missed learning it in HS, and used one of the early NOVUS LED calculators.

For those interested in slide rules I have some links.
To purchase parts and accessories:
http://www.srtco.us/partske.htm
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/exchange.html

To learn how to use a slide rule.
http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Class/OS-ISRM_SlideRuleSeminar.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:49:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: How about slide rules?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »
This is my first one, an 10"  Engineering Instruments (USA). Received in the last batch of tools that Centerpunch sent me. Got me going on rules, hats off to him. I might never have thought about these "obsolete" things if it hadn't been for him. Toward the end of my business I carried it in my forms holder to calculate tax when the calculator gave out. Didn't need extreme accuracy - I'd just round down the amount to the nearest whole number and pay the extra myself. My aunt and uncle (Ph.D. level) saw the rule and freaked out over it!
The back has the logarithm scales and conversion factor right on the handle. Nice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:45:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:22 PM »
Some great users. A 12.5 inch Faber-Castell (Swiss), and a 6" Sterling (USA)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:31:35 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
My really old , expensive one. A 20" Keuffel & Esser Co. engineers rule (USA), # 4053-5. From what I can find my example was made between 1922 and 1925, but, I'm no expert.

Has a straight edge ruler - inches on one side, mm on the other.  Solid mahogany with some sort of white plastic reading surface (celluloid?). Discolored, but I don't dare touch it with cleaner. Being my longest one the numbers are easier to see and accuracy better between digits.
Missing the cursor - from what I can gather parts are NOT cheap! I keep it in a cardboard tube mailer for storage, hoping to find the parts for it someday.
Update: I think I found a proper cursor for $35, and one is selling on ebay starting at $125 (supposedly a rare one)!

And a K&E slide rule manual, again really hard to find these days. After 2 years of searching I found this at a used book sale for $1.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:28:02 AM by bonneyman »

Online oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:44 PM »
If I close my eyes, and think real hard, I can imagine the pics that were probably supposed to have been posted.

(where's the emoticon hiding under the chair icon when you need one)

Oh...and the beer dude. Bring back the beer dude icon!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
I can play! I have two or three but don't really use them. I do think they are neat devices and a very clever innovation. My favorite is this Pickett & Eckel N1006-ES. The ES is for eye saver and indicates the base color is yellow rather than white. It's a 5" pocket model  made mainly for solving trig problems and is all aluminum.

It's in really nice shape even the case is just about pristine. Not sure what this cost when new but it was quite expensive.

All Al laminated construction.

The case is well thought out as well and includes a lift tab on the back to make removing it from the case easier.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:59 PM »
And my historical one, I guess - a 6" Pickett N600-ES (USA). Found out today this is the model slide rule that was carried aloft on Apollo 13. Very similar to JAFE's.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:47:35 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
If I close my eyes, and think real hard, I can imagine the pics that were probably supposed to have been posted.

(where's the emoticon hiding under the chair icon when you need one)

Oh...and the beer dude. Bring back the beer dude icon!

You can open your eyes now, O&S. lol

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
Very nice Bonneyman. Some of these have become worth just stunning money.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »
I saw this subject hashed over at another forum, and then bought a few when they were still cheap.   Was not one of the kids at high school that used one of these.   Those kids had holsters on their belt, to show them off between classes.   Was never instructed in how to use one, but have figured out most of it. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
I saw this subject hashed over at another forum, and then bought a few when they were still cheap.   Was not one of the kids at high school that used one of these.   Those kids had holsters on their belt, to show them off between classes.   Was never instructed in how to use one, but have figured out most of it.

Yeah, I can do the basic functions, and can get by with roots. The 3 trig functions I'm having trouble with....and as I recall I couldn't get them in high school, either! lol

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
Very nice Bonneyman. Some of these have become worth just stunning money.

Just saw a cursor for sale for my K&E asking $190! :o

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
A cursor eh?   If you have pic, you could make one??

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
Some of them go for hundreds and parts are almost impossible. There are a couple companies still making them but the heyday is over.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
A cursor eh?   If you have pic, you could make one??

Plenty of pics. I don't think it would be too hard to make. Would make the tool usable.