Author Topic: Can you help me fix this Wilton wood vise?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline oldnslo

Can you help me fix this Wilton wood vise?
« on: May 21, 2020, 06:21:21 PM »
I sure miss our "Help me fix this" thread from days gone by, nevertheless, here it goes!

7" Wilton that seems to be missing a part on the quick nut (endless nut) that allows the vise to quickly adjust to size, and then clamp tight.

The pencil points to what appears to be an open hole that should have "something" there held in with a clip (according to Wilton this week on the phone). No parts are available.

Pic show it all, but I need to fabricate what might be missing for that hole. Oh yeah, it does work, but often I need to reach underneath it to overcenter the "nut" so it grabs on the acme screw.

PM me if you prefer to connect on the phone if you have one akin to this. Thanks!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Can you help me fix this Wilton wood vise?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
I might have the same vise on a table at work. I'm off intermittently right now due to the kungflu, but will try and remember to look when I go back.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
Wonderful!

Pics of the missing parts, and perhaps a short description of what it actually does would be mucho-helpful.

As with most projects, I'm in no rush.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 05:16:22 PM »
Attached is the parts list, tho it is not the same as mine. Perhaps others can use it.

I did find this pic of the nut, and while the casting is different, it does have the clip that the gentleman at Wilton referenced on the phone. At first I didn't understand where it would attach to, but on mine it was covered with some grease and dust, and looks as though the rivet has sheared off just below the surface.

I'm down to wondering what is under that round disk. I am guessing it is a single tooth that engages with the acme thread with just barely enough downward pressure from the spring clip to allow the movement from the vise handle to lock and unlock the endless nut for quick vise face adjustment.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
Haven't forgot about you, I still haven't been back to work yet.  :38:

I'd guess the same about that round part being a partial nut, probably buttress shaped thread form so it backs out when the screw is turned backwards, but holds when tightening.