Author Topic: Long Beach Swap 8/5 Edition  (Read 7260 times)

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Long Beach Swap 8/5 Edition
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »
Well it feels good to be able to post new finds again.

The ratchet force was with me it seems. Before you guys start salivating really hard the two Plomb 4751 ratchets are broken. One will ratchet in one direction and freewheel in the other. The other 4751 freewheels both ways. The ignition wrenches are one Blue Point and two Plombs. The wide hipped #23 DOE is destined for points south. The little puller is to remove valve keepers presumably with the head in place and is branded Snap-on. The ring groove cleaner is not anything I ever anticipate using if I was replacing rings I'd be replacing pistons as well but for $5 how could I leave behind.

The third ratchet down is gearless and has no markings on it except Rich. Direction is changed by pushing the drive lug to the other side. The ratchet under that is unmarked but it was unique. The bottom ratchet is a Pennens.

But wait!!! There's more! I'm not sure why it wasn't snagged early at the price the vendor wanted - maybe it's the brand marking although to me these are hard to find - especially in good shape so to me desirable because of that. This one has been repainted in a couple spots and the chrome bits are a bit rusty but otherwise it's in great shape including the felts. A good cleaning and a few minutes with a vacuum and it'll be great shape. In general I'm of kind of mixed mind about Kennedys. They are decent enough boxes but around here seem to go for silly money and to be honest brown is pretty far from my favorite color. But the drawers are perfect for stuff I'll put in it which is typical machinists stuff.

It's a Kennedy made Craftsman and to me that makes it interesting. It didn't have a key but it's easy enough to make one or get one.

I'd be open to selling or trading on the Plombs but they are broken.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Long Beach Swap 8/5 Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »
Wave those Plvmbs under Tony`s nose.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:28:01 PM »
Even though they are broken?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
What is that torture looking device?
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
What is that torture looking device?

Piston ring cleaner

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Ring groove cleaner. I see that working, under my shade tree I used a scraper and putty knife.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline brslk

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »
Ahh... the Lesbian Aunt in the brown corduroy pants

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »
Heiny that is the hard way to go.

Bruce looks like you still got it.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Those valve spring tools are damned handy for valve seal replacement. I still use mine from time to time..

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
I do like the box but I'd end up storing all my odd fittings, screws,bolts, washers etc in it

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
Nice machinist box!
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 01:50:07 AM »
jafe,

I've got that exact same machinists chest; bought it in the mid 1960's.  And, until about 1985, it was my only tool box.  Every tool I owned at that time was stored in that smallish box.  When loaded, it was a heavy F'n haul.  Now, it sits on the end of my work bench and stores small tools and precision measuring tools.  I have given thoughts to gifting it to my son if he could use it.  If not, I'm thinking my little grandson might want it when he get's a little older.

When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 01:52:38 AM »
It's quite a nice box and surprisingly heavy empty full it must have been a nice workout. That would make an awesome box for your grandson and hopefully instill interest in yet another generation.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 02:06:08 AM »
JAFE,

My thoughts exactly.  And, it's letting go without really letting go.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline 3bay

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
That’s a sweet little ratchet haul to drool over.

Edit: the third ratchet down, the Rich, is often marked Rich Pacific. Sometimes it’s a faint Rich stamp, and people have mistaken it for Wright.

The one below it, I’m not sure but could well be the same maker. RagtopTA turned one of those up on the GJ a while back that led to some discussion. His was also unmarked.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:52:42 AM by 3bay »