Author Topic: A Small Shadow Box Project  (Read 7689 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: A Small Shadow Box Project
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
I have this pin that I got from McDonnell Douglas but it is a little big at 3-1/2"diameter and it has a clip on the back. I know you like space stuff so just say the word and it is yours.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:07 AM »
I remember reading about training a small group of US Marines in parachuting early in WW II.  It was discontinued for a number of reasons,  very likely your father was one of that small group?   I was taught glass cutting by an uncle long ago, (Thanks Riley), have cut down a lot of window glass, and broken some. A necessary thing when living in a house whose windows are no longer considered a standard size.   Something I do while cutting is to do it on the flattest surface available.

My father was too young in WWII to be a Marine. He did serve some time in Korea though as a Marine. By the time I came along he was an officer in the Air Force and the family moved around mostly in Europe.

Glass cutting always leaves a bit of drama. I suppose it's one of the things that adds some excitement to the process.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 05:34:00 AM »
I have this pin that I got from McDonnell Douglas but it is a little big at 3-1/2"diameter and it has a clip on the back. I know you like space stuff so just say the word and it is yours.

That is an awesome offer, thank you! An out of this world offer in fact. Plenty of room in there if you really could part with such a treasure.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
You got it. Please PM me your new address in our state.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
Sending....

Thank you.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:09 AM »
An update.

DeadNutz sent the pin - thank you very much DN! It is appreciated.

I installed it in the box and it looks great.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Wow, that looks great in there. It acts as a centerpiece to attract your attention to all the pins.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »
That is cool and nice touch DN. I don’t have the intricate craftsman skills for that.  :38:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »
It it is the center piece. And it fits in the recess perfectly.  I think it's a really cool piece of history.

Heiny don't sell yourself short anyone can do PDR has both patience and good eye/hand coordination.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
 :)) :)) :))     Don’t look to close at my handy work.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
I can move metal around a bit with a hammer but never learned PDR. Like to try it sometime.