Author Topic: Harbor Freight Gun Safe  (Read 3620 times)

Offline GNAP

Harbor Freight Gun Safe
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
Welp, I finally broke down for a cheap gun safe (loose definition). I had set up a shopping trip with Norm, to look and purchase a small (less than a dozen rifles) gun safe, planing hitting Runnings, TSC, Bass Pro and Harbor Freight.

Saturday morning, I had a few errands to run, before we went shopping, as I was putting gas into the wife’s Equinox, I was right door to HF, so I ventured in to look and see.

I ran into the manager, looked it over, it met the basic requirements, and after some manager/coupon magic, the price dropped by about $100, so I bought it.

Norm came over and helped get it in the house, I got it loaded up and it’s functioning as I needed it to. The wife is not real impressed, as it sets in the living room (I told her it was temporary

This was all started by a friend in the Binghamton area, who got fined and has his guns confiscated (he later got them back), for not having them locked up. Apparently, in the great state of NY, it’s now illegal (?) to have gun, that are not locked up between uses. Not really sure of all of the details, but if correct, I do not want the hassle. So locked up they are.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:17:15 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline GNAP

Re: Harbor Freight Gun Safe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »
The safe (loose term) is basically a heavy doored metal box, with cheap carpeting and 10 ga walls, ceiling and floor. It is severely out of balance, it stands fine, but when you open the door, it wants to fall forward, until the both of the door hits the floor.

Is it terrible, no, is it great, no, it adequate. The door is smooth, the lock handle and mechanism seems solid and the electronic lock works as described. There is also a backup key lock, in case the batteries die. There is also a lockable interior cabinet, for pistols (?) and 2 adjustable shelves, thats usage would severely limits the usable rifle length.

Should I have looked around, as I had originally planned, probably, but most in the price range I wanted to spend (sub $500 tax included), looked rather similar. The one I really wanted was close to 600# and cost $2200,
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Everybody should have one. Bolted to the floor is the best but you might not want to do that in your living room. Mine is bolted down but when I think about it I have 2 big torch sets and plenty of power tools and material handling equipment along with a forklift. The safe weighs 550lbs empty.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
I've seen those in several homes. It's cheap enough insurance to keep small kids and other honest people out. Does it have a fire rating Jack, ...or is it just a carpeted sheet metal box?

Offline GNAP

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »
Large carpeted sardine can, roughly 10 ga steel sides back, top and bottom

Designed to keep honest people honest

My intent is to comply to the law, it meets the minimum requirements.

If you have children under 16 or people who are no allowed guns in your residents, they need to be locked up. The grandkids who visit a lot, obviously make the need to comply necessary, make the wife happier too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:47:04 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 12:13:21 PM »
Good move Jack as you just can't give the gun grabbers any reason to stomp on your rights.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
DN, when they tell you what you can do in your own house they already are stomping on our rights. :character0029: :character0029:
But we do what we gotta to survive.

What did the chinese buffet have for the special? if you went to a harbor frieght you know the chinese buffet wasn't far away.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »
Ah, the dilemma, my local Harbor Freight, is within a mile of my house, the Chinese Buffet we frequent is about 10-15 miles away, near the other Harbor Freight. The third Harbor Freight is within 9 iron range of the other buffet we use.  So here is the dilemma, use my local HF and go hungry, or use one of the other store and gorge ourselves on Sichuan Cat and BBQ Rat. Choices......<sigh>
jack

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 06:46:21 PM »
 Oh yeah , mystery meat on a stick. They say it's chicken , but it's just the right length of a cat back strap. In my part of NY the buffet's aren't open yet.
  I have 2  12 gun safes that are just like that , but with shinny paint and key locks. They work for me.  Give me a 4" angle grinder and I'll get into any gun safe.  As long as it keeps the minions out I'm ok .

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
Like stated it'll keep the honest (the grandkids) out and safe.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:13:26 PM »
I bought a cheap 8 or 10 gun box of about the same quality from Walmart a few years ago.

Freestanding my box was very unimpressive, however, I found that when I used big heavy screws and secured it to both the floor, and the wall it backs up against in one of the closets that made it feel much more stable and secure. That said,  it is still one of the cheapest boxes on the market. Calling it a gun safe would really be an absolutely deluded statement!  :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 09:54:49 PM »
Hey it is the thought that counts!   What would accomdate my sorry collection, I cannot afford.   So they are hidden around the house, shed, bunker. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 06:43:49 PM »
I don't know what he has now, but at his old house my uncle had a really cool ingenious setup.

He cut the back out of a regular safe and turned it into a horizontal gun cabinet.
He built a box of the appropriate size into the wall behind the little in wall towel cupboard, then mounted the safe, and the cupboard he built with a hinged false interior.

I thought he was joking before I saw it.
I believe there are ready made products like this on the market now, but there weren't when he made it I don't think.

I think the most ingenious part about it is the fact that people will usually expect long guns to be stored upright so they'd never suspect a small towel cupboard , and they'd never expect your gun safe to be in the bathroom at that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:24:05 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »
I bought a cheap 8 or 10 gun box of about the same quality from Walmart a few years ago.

Freestanding my box was very unimpressive, however, I found that when I used big heavy screws and secured it to both the floor, and the wall it backs up against in one of the closets that made it feel much more stable and secure. That said,  it is still one of the cheapest boxes on the market. Calling it a gun safe would really be an absolutely deluded statement!  :))
Uncle Buck!!! How you been?!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk