Author Topic: question? stubby, extra shallow, midget, low profile, pick your name sockets  (Read 11462 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
i am looking for some stubby 1/2 drive  impact sockets. i know the selections are limited and more than likely all imported. anyone have any? seen them in person think they are a stupid idea/investment?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:08:00 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: question? stubby, extra shallow, midget sockets. pick your name sockets
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
You looking to collect, or to use? If you just want users grab a set of sockets and chuck them into your lathe and start making chips.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
interesting thought. not  a bad idea either.

i do see that most of them have a hex end like a spark plug socket for driving with a wrench as well. i suppose i could buy singles and modify them  but if one buys more than a few  then cost and time are a factor.  a set of 11 sae drom 3/8-1 or 15 pc from 10-24 can be had from sunex or astro for something in that 40-50 dollar per set range. one can hardly by a set from hf and cut them down for that.

i do see the value in the do it yourself, pride of ownership like you speak of as well.

uncle buck called me a collector............ :)) :)) :)) :))

what"s next polisher?  :-*

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
No I did not! I just sort of asked was all!  :D

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator

hey where is that "pokie" smiley face at?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator

hey where is that "pokie" smiley face at?

A few of the choice ones are AWOL....... ???

Offline DeadNutz

OK, I will admit to having HF impact sockets in a box. They came from the shop contents I bought and are well used. The 3/8 dr set 5/16 and 3/8 are 1" long with the rest 1-3/16" long and the 1/2 dr set the sockets 1-1/2" long. The 1/2 dr are marked only with the size while the CF set is also marked Taiwan.
I also have the HF 1/2 dr deep impacts in SAE and MM that I had bought for the shop for the employees to abuse and they never broke any. Your mileage may vary. ;D

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
OK, I will admit to having HF impact sockets in a box. They came from the shop contents I bought and are well used. The 3/8 dr set 5/16 and 3/8 are 1" long with the rest 1-3/16" long and the 1/2 dr set the sockets 1-1/2" long. The 1/2 dr are marked only with the size while the CF set is also marked Taiwan.
I also have the HF 1/2 dr deep impacts in SAE and MM that I had bought for the shop for the employees to abuse and they never broke any. Your mileage may vary. ;D

That very first set shown is a twin to the first set of impact sockets pop bought back in the 1970's from HF. Literally down to the color of the box and the sticker, the set is a twin. Pop bought those so long ago there were no HF stores anywhere as far as I know. They sent out this little folded up flier in the mail with only a handful of offerings compared to today. If they did have a store it might have been in California or something like that. I am betting that set is just as old......

Offline DeadNutz

I don't remember what year they dropped the word salvage from their name.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
I do recall the mailers back then. If memory serves you could go to the main location which was in Camarillo, CA and later one I think back east somewhere.

They literally started as a liquidator for unclaimed/damaged freight.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

I do recall the mailers back then. If memory serves you could go to the main location which was in Camarillo, CA and later one I think back east somewhere.

They literally started as a liquidator for unclaimed/damaged freight.
I drove by their warehouse off the 101 fwy many times but never had the time to stop.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
well, i bit. ordered the sunex 2673 and 2674 sets. should be here this week.  O:-)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:48:58 PM by skfarmer »

Offline bonneyman

uncle buck called me a collector............ :)) :)) :)) :))

what"s next polisher?  :-*

SK's a collector now? What's the world coming to? :D

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
The HF Central Forge stuff was pretty good. Notice that pretty much all of the original Harbor Freight & Salvage products were imported from Taiwan -- not US premium quality, but good quality for the time. Their Central Machinery products were some of the best Taiwan had to offer in those days. I still have a few of those 1980's machines in my shop and they have proven their worth.