Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 10414 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Quick question
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
Is this SCHRADER valve core removal tool meant to go in some kind of handle or are you just supposed to turn it with your fingers ?

That's how I've always used it and it works just fine, but I'm curious because every other kind of valve core removal tool I've seen besides those little multi function ones has a screwdriver handle.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Valve cores are meant to be installed "finger tight".

Your particular tool seems to be the larger size for valve cores, typically found in off highway equipment. Or, it just might be the camera angle. If its the larger size, that explains the "beefiness" of it with fluted edges, perhaps for use in a pneumatic tool for mass installation.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
Valve cores are meant to be installed "finger tight".

Your particular tool seems to be the larger size for valve cores, typically found in off highway equipment. Or, it just might be the camera angle. If its the larger size, that explains the "beefiness" of it with fluted edges, perhaps for use in a pneumatic tool for mass installation.

Correct. I've got alot of core tools - some store bought, some homemade. And the store bought ones are obviously low torque devices - some are even made out of plastic. They used to include little plastic installers (like those at the top of the second pic) in the bags of valve cores. Don't know if they still do.
I think the pocket tool versions were a bit of overkill, as they allowed one to potentially over-crank the cores. They were meant for added reach, not torque. But they invariably get used that way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:17:56 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
Are the Schrader valves used in AC work the same size as in tires/tubes?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »

As far as I can tell, yes.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
Thanks, I figured it was probably meant to be used by hand but wasn't sure as it almost looks like a driver bit.

Some real interesting ones posted, I used to have some bike tire caps with the tool built in that I wish I still had.

This is standard size I guess, I use it mostly to remove cores from popped tubes so I can save them ( used to have a bunch in a mint tin but lost it at some point ) or to remove the core for easy deflating.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:59:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »

Yeah the standard AC schraders appear to be the same as the tire ones. Though I've never tried using a tire one for AC work because the elastomers might not be compatible with oil and refrigerant.

Some automotive valve cores are larger but IIRC Bonneyman said he'd never encountered them on a fixed installation.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
No idea there were so many variations.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
I have experience in suto ac work, if very shortly.

Tire valves use a different seal material which is usually black or red that will not last long in AC service.  I know because we had to replace them with proper white seal stems (bought at AZ no less) before we could recharge. 

Ford had briefly used a bigger connector on the low side but the inner stem was the same as usual. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »

Yeah the standard AC schraders appear to be the same as the tire ones. Though I've never tried using a tire one for AC work because the elastomers might not be compatible with oil and refrigerant.

Some automotive valve cores are larger but IIRC Bonneyman said he'd never encountered them on a fixed installation.

The seal material is probably not compatible with the synthetic oil of R410a. Older R22 mineral oil lube might not affect it, but the combination of oil plus higher pressure of an AC system (300-400PSI vs 30-45 PSI car) might be problematic for auto cores. HVAC ones in tubes should prove fine.
Originally when R410a was introduced, manufacturers made the access valves larger to prevent unsuspecting techs from hooking up R22 gauges to R410a systems. Pressures are 50-70% higher with R410a - gauges/hoses could blow and injure someone badly. But the outrage in the field was so great they went back to standard sized valves after only a year or two. So, some HVAC cores (those during that initial roll-out phase) might be larger. Never worked on any so can't confirm

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:34:04 AM »
I have always used the ones screwed onto the end of a valve stem.  Never saw a need to have anything better though I don't use one but 10 times a year or so.  The Snap on ones sell good for me