Author Topic: 2 post lift disasters  (Read 4539 times)

Offline DeadNutz

2 post lift disasters
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
Here is a C6 Corvette falling off of a 2 post lift. They had removed the engine and didn't allow for the change in center of gravity.

<iframe width="799" height="464" src=" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evidently mechanics at some dealerships don't know how to lift the C8 mid-engine Vette.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/c8-corvette-falls-off-lift/

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: 2 post lift disasters
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 04:26:15 PM »
Oh shit!
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 04:26:32 PM »
Oh that is some damage

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
The guy walking away to tell the Boss. I quit! :lol_hitting:

Offline GNAP

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 06:47:42 PM »
Damn!! I hate when that happened!!
jack

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »
Worked around and under 2 post lifts for about 30 years, only saw one ever dump a vehicle.   Whenever under an overlong or borderline heavy vehicle we would always block one end or both with a tall screw jackstand,  just to keep it from getting tippy.  They get tippy, they slide on the lift pads, and boom.  Dont hurry and use common sense.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »
I worked in tire stores in the early 80's and we had 2 citations nose dive when the rear wheels were removed.  The tire men were not used to FWD cars with all the weight up front

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 11:06:45 PM »
Should buff out ok

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »
Would never own or work under one. Always have looked like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Do not recall ever seeing a ramp style lift, damage any car. Some things are best left alone.

DUMB_ASSES
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 08:15:32 AM »
I am with Pep, my lift will be a 4 post

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 08:45:58 AM »
When I worked at a gas station while in high school I was taught to use the lift. It was the single post h-frame top most gas stations had. Lift the tires off the concrete and stop and walk around the vehicle giving it a shake. Raise to height desired and get to work.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
  Fond memory ........ Gas stations that did repairs.

Ding!,ding!, filler_up, high test or regular, stuff the hose in the tank.  The green flag at the circle track.

The race begins, check the oil, battery, radiator, wash the windshield, air the tires. 

The quest, finish when the tank is full.  Remember green stamps?

I thought they were worthless gave out 10ft long strips of the damn things to the nice customers.

That's the good_ol days for sure LMAO
  :)
When I worked at a gas station while in high school I was taught to use the lift. It was the single post h-frame top most gas stations had. Lift the tires off the concrete and stop and walk around the vehicle giving it a shake. Raise to height desired and get to work.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »

I worked in gas stations too in HS and they all had the in ground single post style lift. I was taught the same clear the ground, shake the car as you walk around it before raising and once it gets high enough make sure of your contact points being on a frame or structural member and think about balance.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
Yes pep it was only full service at our station and no self serve. One evening a doctor who was a pain in our rear came in for gas. As I checked everything on that older Lincoln I advised him that he needed a little water in the radiator tank. He declared that he would add the water and nobody else would. After finishing with the gas I walked to front of the car and asked why he was adding water to the oil. He went ballistic that he could do such a stupid thing. We pushed the car in the service bay for the night and I called the owner to tell him about his repair in the morning.

I decided that I would never see that doctor as a patient.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
Like many of you older guys, I also worked in a 1960's era shop. Mine had single cylinder in-ground hydraulic lifts. They had x-frame carriers and made access to the driveline near impossible, but the xframe had a huge footprint and held any vehicle rock steady. The lifts were installed in the 1950's and by the 1970's they were leaking something fierce. The oil was leaking from the buried cylinders into the foundation and surrounding soil -- EPA nightmare. The leaks got so bad that if you let off the pneumatic lifting valve, it would drop fairly quickly because the seals were totally gone.

I got pretty good at coordinating the pneumatic lift valve while at the same time setting the manual lock so the thing wouldn't come back down on my head. Sometimes some mechanics forgot to do that coordinated dance and the cars came back down rather quickly and crash onto toolboxes and/or shop equipment that was placed underneath.