Author Topic: What Got you into Tools  (Read 21675 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: What Got you into Tools
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
... My brother and I started getting Craftsman tools from the parents for Christmas around that time and I received tools as gifts for years from family members. ...

Those were great times and it must have been quite exciting to open those presents.

In HS a guy I knew got a big set of Craftsman tools it was pretty much everything you'd need for most jobs in a big box.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
Not dissimilar to others. I had a motorbike and I got tools as needed to fix or maintain it. I like to be self sufficient having whatever tool might be required for the job.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
I grew up poor and if I wanted to ride or drive I had to fix it. I was stuck with cheapo Oxwall quality tools that really aggravated the repairs. I swore then, that if I ever had any money I would buy me better tools. Now its just serial upgrading. And having 10-15 1/2in. wrenches is now perfectly normal. ;D

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
I still remember the time I got my first "real" tool set. I had a small box of thrown together cheap no quality tools and needed to do some work on my car. I decided to go to sears and buy one set of wrenches. Walked out with a $300 Craftsman tool set and I've never regretted it!!!
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
... My brother and I started getting Craftsman tools from the parents for Christmas around that time and I received tools as gifts for years from family members. ...

Those were great times and it must have been quite exciting to open those presents.

In HS a guy I knew got a big set of Craftsman tools it was pretty much everything you'd need for most jobs in a big box.

It was at one time a very common "right of passage" to receive a quality set of tools in your later teen years. I and many of my friends received a proper machanic's Craftsman toolchest or cabinet when we were that age.

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

It was at one time a very common "right of passage" to receive a quality set of tools in your later teen years. I and many of my friends received a proper machanic's Craftsman toolchest or cabinet when we were that age.

I got a lump of coal  8)

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »

I got a lump of coal  8)

With the right tool your coal can become a diamond!

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
Would have to say my father is what got me into tools. Growing up he would work on the family cars. So tools were always around.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 12:36:00 AM »
Teen years I was fixing a worn out 1969 Gardenmark riding mower from MW and keeping an old bike or three alive.  Mostly with s box of rummage sale toss offs and ancient wrenches dad tossed us boys.  Later on cars became a need and I worked out of a old SK hand box with a spattering of old junk and some new Stanley from the local Ace. 

Kept a heap of old heaps somewhat alive to get me to and from work on minimal tools and less knowledge.    I took a good bunch of years later with only bikes and those related tools but in the early 2000's I took a jobin a shop.

Tooled up to sheer overkill then weeded back to a bunch of old junk in a alu tote I made for my job.   Add a house and bike kit and a plumbing kit and a pile of ancient crusty stuff in a display case.  Then the growing piles of Oxwall and gimmicks in storage for now... 

Still overtooled but with good focus on what makes me money, what saves me money and what is in the no resale value money pit.