Author Topic: Stub axle replacement - utility trailer  (Read 3555 times)

Offline oldnslo

Stub axle replacement - utility trailer
« on: January 31, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
Seems like a simple, grind off the old welds, punch out the center section and weld in the new one (after carefully estimating alignment). The old one was sheared off by the prior owner during a prior back up session.

It's a greaseable spindle version (nice), but that grease exit hole to reach the inner bearing was a stress riser.

See red circle in pic.

What am I missing here in complexity before I start on this?

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Stub axle replacement - utility trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »
I don't see any suspension on that trailer. You didn't mention the size of the trailer or capacity. If it was me I would just buy a new axle with leaf springs and stick that under it. You get one at TSC or order one online.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 04:56:34 PM »
Torsion bar. 2k lb axle (singular).

A $20 part and some mig love, beats a complete replacement axle any day. ;)

Besides, this "owner built" setup was all weld attachments, not a bolt in sight anywhere on the frame.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 06:27:23 PM »
Is the spindle itself replaceable or will the arm have to be replaced as well? The torsion axles I have slide up in the axle with rubber just inside the axle tube. Be careful with the heat there or you could melt out the rubber parts.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »
I've got the welds ground off on each side, but no luck on it budging. I'll have a go at it again in the daylight.

This is the needed part: https://www.ordertrailerparts.com/products/copy-of-spindle-for-3-500-lb-idler-hub?variant=29440656769126

What I am wondering, and thus hoping someone here has done this before, is that drop portion might have a chamfer that the weld bead dropped into when originally fitted. Thus I might have to not just grind flat, but also "into" the support on both sides. The last thing I want its to cut so deep that I am left with a solid chunk in the middle that wont come out.

:38:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 11:01:08 AM »
keep grinding. that torsion arm appears to be solid so when it is free on each side it should slide out. the hard part is getting it free. you will have to grind down into it to release the stub. it may be easier to cut the spindle flush on the other side to make it easier to find/grind where it is at. if you grind a slot down into it deeper than the weld you should be able to see the line between the parts. from there just grind and follow it around the shaft.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 12:09:35 PM »
When this guy thought he had ground enough of the weld off he used a ball joint press to bust the thin remaining weld.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src=" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »
Harlan, thanks so much, that was the ticket to me seeing progress. More grinding. I had been trying to save the base material (arm) and sacrifice the shaft. I've stopped for the day, and have a full circle of weld break on the back side to show for my work today. I'm 12lb sledging from the front side, so I'll want to keep that stub for awhile.

DeadNutz, thanks for the vid. I had searched previously, hoping to find a forum (trailer building, RV, etc) to no real luck, along with Youtube. I guess it was the "spindel" spelling that did the trick.

I'll probably try a ball joint press later, or fab up a bottle jack press to assist.

More later, when I have time. Thanks guys! There is hope.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 09:57:09 PM »
Done. Case closed. Part ordered. Grind shavings swept up.

What I learned:

1. Grinding the surface weld and going deeper is not enough. Go even deeper.
2. Keep any exposed spindle available to bang on. Don't cut yourself short
3. The welded Al-Ko (Dexter) spindle is not press fit in from the factory. It's loose at best. Welded to spec.
4. The Dexter company wants nothing to do with guys off the street like me for technical questions
5. While I did have access to a ball joint press, I didnt need it. You will if you cant grind out the old welds.

From the picture, you can see the weld puddle go into the gap between the spindle and its mount (the arm) from the factory. That gap puddle is what was holding me up, and not allowing the spindle to be forced through. Yeah, the circular weld break was showing up, but little did I know that it would be like forcing a larger diameter into a smaller one.

Thats all folks. Thanks!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
Glad you got it out and that certainly is a loose fit which I wouldn't have expected.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
I figured it would be press fit myself. That’s going to be fun getting the new stub square with the axle

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »
he gives me too much credit........

i just told him to go to the store and get more grinding wheels! i knew he would eventually find what he needed if he dug deep enough.

as far as getting it square? clamp a short length of angle iron to the arm to give you a flat surface and use a square welding magnet to get you as close as possible. stuff like that is always a crap shoot and it may never have been that straight to begin with.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 11:39:45 AM »
If the new one is a loose fit I would probably try wrapping it with some shim stock narrower than where it would be welded on both sides of the arm. You will play heck trying to square that up when there is slop in the fit.