Author Topic: Is the Craftsman name just about done?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Is the Craftsman name just about done?
« on: May 11, 2022, 01:30:05 AM »
I was at Lowe's today for some fasteners and stopped to check out the Craftsman toolboxes.  I knew they weren't the best quality but was surprised to see how cheap they are now.  I don't care for the styling and the sheet metal feels incredibly thin.  I know this is a recurring theme, but it's just sad to see how far the Craftsman name has fallen.  The US General boxes are so much more superior it's not funny.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Is the Craftsman name just about done?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 07:58:42 AM »
Been like that for a while I'm afraid. Craftsman homeowner grade boxes have been very low quality for well over a decade (if not several decades). The days of quality Waterloo and King-Seeley boxes with Craftsman labels on them are long gone. That said, some basic Craftsman hand tools and blow molded job boxes are now back in US production -- South Carolina plant, and larger professional grade boxes are made in Missouri (among others).

I recently read that Stanley B&D is bringing a large portion of their hand tool production back to the US. The pandemic, as well as labor and shipping costs have made overseas Chinese production not so lucrative anymore. American labor can now effectively compete again. Let's hope it's an industry-wide trend. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 08:34:29 AM »
Craftsman name will live on for a while no matter what they do.  too great a legacy to die overnight.  If it dies, it will be slow death over time I would think.

Or it could be revived and thrive again if the marketers get it right and some quality can be put back in

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 07:17:55 PM »
The plant in Texas now has 200 something employees with expectancy to go up to 300 something ,  and they say American made wrenches and socket sets are supposed to roll out of that plant by the end of the year.

I can't stand the angular modern aesthetic of the current Taiwanese Craftsman ratchets so I really hope they don't continue this aesthetic into the domestic stuff, if they don't then a 1/4" ratchet will definitely be on my list.
If they do then theres just no reason whatsoever for me to care, regardless of the fact that it will be American made.

And those diagonal hash marks on the wrenches , I hate that too.
They don't gotta bring back the Danahar era raised pannel stuff, but the classic 2 line Craftsman stamp would be great
 Give themselves a real connection to the reputation they need to live up to by using a stamp / logo similar to that or the brands golden era.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:22:48 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »
The Craftsman plant in texas is getting ready to release tools here in the next few months.

The wrenches and sockets are forged here of American steel which is great.

The ratchets, they're identical to the current Taiwanese Craftsman ratchets but the ratchet bodies are forged here in the US.
The mechanisms are standard Taiwanese, so the face plates have " made in USA of global materials ) printed on them but you will not see USA forged into them.

This is not the design I wanted to see them go with in the first place, let alone with a Taiwanese mechanism in it so I will have to wait till they start producing the mechanism here as well before I add a new Craftsman to my 1/4" ratchet collection
As long as it's completely made here I'm willing to check one out but not with an imported mechanism even if it is better than the last raised panels with plastic parts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:21:57 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:06:20 PM »
With all the good used Craftsman stuff out there I see no reason to buy any of the new stuff, USA made or not. I have all I need in sockets and ratchets, but if I found some nice condition old stock metric sockets I'd grab 'em.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 06:36:53 AM »
Saw that some of the new Craftsman stuff was made in India. Guess the Chinese supply chains are getting less reliable due to constant COVID lockdowns, or the cost of doing business in China is so high that a lot of manufacturing is heading for the exits.

Online highland512

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 08:09:23 AM »
Saw that some of the new Craftsman stuff was made in India. Guess the Chinese supply chains are getting less reliable due to constant COVID lockdowns, or the cost of doing business in China is so high that a lot of manufacturing is heading for the exits.

I have been seeing more and more of this. We bought 5 new cheep dewalt grinders at work the other day, made in India. Walking through hobo freight and noticed a lot of stuff now made in India and Taiwan that use to be made in China. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 12:40:29 AM »
Apparently Milwaukee has opened a hand tool plant here in the US, and they are currently rolling 100% American made screwdrivers off the line.

Their futuristic design aesthetic is a deal breaker for me, call me overly picky or whatever but I like what I like and modern design aesthetic isn't it.

Still I'm glad they're making this move, and I can see some good design here with the knurling on the shanks even if it is only on the torx for some reason.

With companies like S-K and Shopvac being Chinese owned now , WF & P-R gone, and Klein seemingly releasing more imported gimmick screwdrivers than anything,  it's great to see somebody bringing production back to the US.
I wish they didn't think their tools had to look like crap to sell, but I can still get behind the effort.

I never thought their ratchets looked terrible,  and if they start making those in the US I won't hesitate to add one to my 1/4"dr collection.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 10:06:12 AM »
I don’t know about futuristic but more ergonomic is sure appreciated when you use these tools all day every day. I’ve used the old stuff long enough that I welcome this newer ergonomic style.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »
I don’t know about futuristic but more ergonomic is sure appreciated when you use these tools all day every day. I’ve used the old stuff long enough that I welcome this newer ergonomic style.
There are comfortable more ergonomic handles for tools that aren't needlessly angular and robotic looking.
Milwaukee just wants an aggressive style for some reason.

The old PROTO yellow handles,  the Tekton hard handles.
I absolutely love the handles on those cheap US made Stanley screwdrivers that were exclusive to Ace hardware a couple years ago, the tips were terrible but the handles are great.

You can have cushy grips on a pair of pliers that don't look like crap too, plenty of options without going beyond ergonomics just to have an aggressive style.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 03:44:17 PM »
I certainly don't know all the details, but I know due to shortages/supply chain issues, and national defense considerations, a tax law was signed that is part of the reasons people are moving stuff back.

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 05:51:01 PM »
I'd buy a set of US made milwaukee drivers. Handles look good to me. I have Milwaukee wire strippers that aren't worth 20 cents though, I can't imagine they are US made. Knipex ruined me.  :93:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 09:13:59 AM »
Knipex ruined me.  :93:

You ain't the only one :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »
Knipex ruined me.  :93:

You ain't the only one :))
With everything I've heard I fear that possibility as well so I've chosen to stick to Channellock.

Always lookin' to learn