Author Topic: Is the Craftsman name just about done?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline softailgarage

Re: Is the Craftsman name just about done?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 10:22:42 PM »
I grew up on Craftsman Tools and it's sad to see what they've become. I also dislike the way they're obviously copying Milwaukee Tools.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 08:43:17 AM »
I grew up on Craftsman Tools and it's sad to see what they've become. I also dislike the way they're obviously copying Milwaukee Tools.

Seeing how stanley black and decker bought craftsman and already owns DeWalt I doubt they are copying milwaukee tools. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:08 AM »

Seeing how stanley black and decker bought craftsman and already owns DeWalt I doubt they are copying milwaukee tools. 

I've heard that the new Craftsman battery powered LI tools are actually quite good, but like anything in the line, within a few short years you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement battery pack for that particular series of tools. Frustrating as heck. I applaud companies like Ryobi that maintain battery consistency across their lines.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:06:19 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 10:25:25 PM »

I've heard that the new Craftsman battery powered LI tools are actually quite good, but like anything in the line, within a few short years you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement battery pack for that particular series of tools. Frustrating as heck. I applaud companies like Ryobi that maintain battery consistency across their lines.
I have Craftsman 1/2 impact, angle grinder and circular saw. They are all brushed versions. Im happy with em, the circular saw could use some more power.  I've paid around or less then $100 each for them new. I just picked up a 2 pack of the lower AH batteries for $80. So for a guy on a budget/not every day use, id definitely recommend them.

As compared to the Craftsman of the past, there leaps and bounds.

Compared to the DeWalt XR or Milwaukee Fuel, the Craftsman is definitely diy/homeowner grade as it has been for decades.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 12:44:52 AM »
Looks like the Craftsman name is dead, and the new huge plant in Ft Worth Texas will be closed by 2024.
S-B&D basically gave up before any of the tools even hit the market.
I guess they're going to finish and sell what they can then that's it.
Apparently they were trying to imminent some kind of cost effective warm forging process or some other nonsense that all the Taiwanese manufacturers use, but didn't have enough understanding of the process to make it work and the world's largest tool company isn't willing to just stick it out.

They claim to be committed to American manufacturing,  but not enough to put up with some hiccups in a new tool plant.
If they really cared they could afford to stick it out, make things work,  and eventually have a successful lind of American made Craftsman tools again, but they're just not as committed as they claim to be.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 06:06:47 AM »
I have Craftsman hand tools and have always replaced any lost (few) & none broken. With Craftsman to bad they are throwing in the towel, not unexpected really.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:58 AM »
Looks like the Craftsman name is dead, and the new huge plant in Ft Worth Texas will be closed by 2024.
S-B&D basically gave up before any of the tools even hit the market.
I guess they're going to finish and sell what they can then that's it.
Apparently they were trying to imminent some kind of cost effective warm forging process or some other nonsense that all the Taiwanese manufacturers use, but didn't have enough understanding of the process to make it work and the world's largest tool company isn't willing to just stick it out.

They claim to be committed to American manufacturing,  but not enough to put up with some hiccups in a new tool plant.
If they really cared they could afford to stick it out, make things work,  and eventually have a successful lind of American made Craftsman tools again, but they're just not as committed as they claim to be.

i think you are wrong on this. the cman name is not dead. i will go out on a limb and say it is far from dead and will probably outlive most of us in some way, shape or form.

we can argue all day about whether it should be us made or any place that it is made but for the vast majority of people it just does not matter. about 3 years ago now, i picked up one of their larger boxed sets with a few wrenches and large assortment of sockets in all three drive sizes. not even close to top notch stuff but quite usable and actually pretty good. the box fits with t stak boxes. the tools have pretty good fit and finish, the ratchets are a little clunky and bulky but work fine. i searched all of the brands and gave the most in the bang for buck ratio. i know people bitch about piece counts but all of the pieces serve a purpose and add capability. matter of fact it has completed a couple projects because it had those extra bobbles and bits.

these tools stay at a remote location about 50 miles from my home where i keep my camper. my neighbors have no problem searching me out when they need to complete a project on a saturday night and their tools are 100 miles away or 20 miles away at the nearest hardware store that is closed. so far, no lost or broken pieces and maybe more importantly no fears of them breaking in use.

do i wish they were us made? sure do. do they give me warm fuzzies and feeling of nostalgia? nope, not  much of that either.

what does it give me? the ability to get a project done whether it is maintaining my camper, shed or deck. helping the owner of the campground or my neighbors maintain their boat, pontoon, dock, lift or trailer. that ensures me that i have more time to enjoy a cold beverage, an outdoor cooked meal and time around the campfire with my family and friends.

when looked at in that light. my box of plain unassuming average tools are at some times priceless. not because of how great they are but because they allow me to get er done and move on to what is really important.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 08:44:59 AM »
I agree with SK on this issue. I also think that most DIY folks these days don't care much about country of manufacture. It's usually just us older guys (there are always exceptions though) who fondly remember Sears' heyday when we were growing up and were able to afford decent US made Craftsman tools at the time. With few exceptions those days and times are gone and many folks simply buy the HF, Lowes, HD, or store brand tools based on price and availability. Asian manufactured Craftsman tools compete in this market and should do quite well I think.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
The Craftsman name is still just a zombie brand that's not truly alive.
Sure tools with the Craftsman name on them will continue to be made , but the brand will never truly be alive unless the tools are made here like they were for 70+ years.
That doesn't mean the tools don't function or have a place, just that this isn't the same Craftsman tools.
It's simply another company owning the name, the tools aren't the same, not made where they were, and the logo isn't even the same.

I don't think it's wrong to have this stance about Craftsman just because some people don't care where they're made, it doesn't change the fact that it's just not the same.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 07:42:06 PM »
It's a shame that they can't/won't make a go of it. But economic conditions are not good at all right now. I'll just keep grabbing any old Craftsman I find and store 'em. Might be good for trading fodder, serve as spare parts for other ratchets in the rotation, and replace the 10mm sockets that tend to disappear.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 07:49:40 PM »
I find it hard lamenting the passing of a brand name which is already nothing like it was when we valued them.  Craftsman hasn't been a relevant brand in my tool box for a long time now.

But I have to wonder...is S/B&D working on bringing out USA/North American made (as a Canuck, NA is important to me!) products in one of their other tool lines?  If so, it makes sense to concentrate efforts to make one good product instead of a couple mediocre ones.

I stopped buying Craftsman years ago when locations for warranty exchanges were less convenient for me to access, but I still have a lot of them in my regular use boxes.  Most of my wrenches and sockets now are Mastercraft (Canadian Tire house brand, not sure who makes them) which get the job done and the store is just down the road from me. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:43 PM »
I was actually kinda excited for the new cman stuff made in the USA…….. I’m done with caring about now. Any new purchases will be Wright. But most likely new additions will come from the used sources. I just can’t convince myself to made in Asia. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2023, 08:55:54 PM »
I cant recall the last Craftsman tool that I bought new. Probably a present for someone. Over the past few years my priorities have changed a lot. Its no longer important to me what tools I use to get the job done as long as it gets done. Most of my tool buys now are specialty stuff from Amazon. The last tool I got was a wire lugger for crimping lugs on electrical cables. Doubt Craftsman ever made one of those.

BTW in the last 3 years I've had 3 Horrible freights open within 30 miles of my house. I'm willing to bet they've employed more Americans in the past 10 years than Craftsman tools did.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023, 10:34:51 PM »
A pair of worthy ratchets I snagged a couple of months ago. They're not my favorites ratchets by any means but if the nuclear war hit and all I had was these two with a set of sockets I'd be able to survive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:38:13 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2023, 10:43:48 PM »
A pair of worthy ratchets I snagged a couple of months ago. They're not my favorites ratchets by any means but if the nuclear war hit and all I had was these two with a set of sockets I'd be able to survive.

ha! excellent point. when the cockroaches take over some day there will probably still be some cman tools around someplace for them to use.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!