Author Topic: Old School Tools  (Read 21652 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Old School Tools
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Galileo thermometer. The floats rise or sink depending on the temperature. The lowest float at the top gives the temp. Accuracy is good but this one uses floats calibrated about 4 degrees apart so accuracy is limited. Also there only five floats so the range is pretty narrow. Still a fun piece.

The top float is 80 degrees and it has sunk so it's warmer than 80. In fact that day it was about 98 or so in the room.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
Here's something many people give zero thought to today, many people think of them as antiquated by chainsaws.
I may not have much use for a full sized felling axe, but many people still use them daily and I just had to save it.

I could not let this old SAGER chemicalaxe rust away or end up in a scrapyard.

You don't have any apple trees do you?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »
BBC Metrawatt. Not sure about the company today - it still exists though. At the time the meter was made it was a German company and the meter was made in Germany.

At the time it was made while a portable meter it was closer in specs to a lab grade unit. It is small and lighter than a Fluke 77 but I like the Fluke a little better. Still use this one a lot.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
Here's something many people give zero thought to today, many people think of them as antiquated by chainsaws.
I may not have much use for a full sized felling axe, but many people still use them daily and I just had to save it.

I could not let this old SAGER chemicalaxe rust away or end up in a scrapyard.

You don't have any apple trees do you?
No, but I wouldn't mind chopping down a cherry tree so I can be like George Washington  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
We'll have to get you a tricorn hat then.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »
We'll have to get you a tricorn hat then.

I want to see a picture of that lamp made from wrenches!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »

This is the only pic I had handy. Mrs. J.A.F.E. gave me the lamp for a birthday one year.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Nice save on the axe! I just wouldn't want to have to cut a tree down with it. :o

And I've got a Galileo thermometer, too. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

This is the only pic I had handy. Mrs. J.A.F.E. gave me the lamp for a birthday one year.

I've always had this desire to take an old soda/acid fire extinguisher, polish up the brass, and turn it into a floor lamp!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
That would be really cool. But I have to admit a fondness for brass.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »
My as yet untested Sanwa meter.   It spent its working years off the Texas coast on a barge servicing oil rigs.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
I bought this little tracer on e-bay for a few bucks. The seller told me that it was in working order and in good shape. Well, just goes to show that e-bay is sometimes a "crap shoot".

This thing needed every capacitor replaced, along with some wiring. It also needed a thorough cleaning. The input stage was dead until I realized that the transformer was hooked up wrong. 50 years ago this was a "kit", and someone assembled it incorrectly. It must have been sitting in a worthless state like this since it was assembled.

It's used to inject a signal into a circuit which then can be traced along the main and various branch circuits until at some point it can't be measured or heard anymore (it has a speaker for audible signal response). At that point the problem component can be readily isolated.

Quite handy for fixing older equipment -- but it also produces some VERY high voltages and it can be dangerous.

It works, but almost every capacitor in this thing was the "sh#ts".

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »
Nice save on the axe! I just wouldn't want to have to cut a tree down with it. :o

I probably wouldn't either, and back in the day this probably would've taken a back seat to a crosscut saw on many sizeable trees.
It really was a nice save especially the old replacement haft it was crammed onto, they don't make axes like they used to and even more so they don't make handles like they used to.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »

I probably wouldn't either, and back in the day this probably would've taken a back seat to a crosscut saw on many sizeable trees.
It really was a nice save especially the old replacement haft it was crammed onto, they don't make axes like they used to and even more so they don't make handles like they used to.

They still make axes like they used to, but they’re expensive af.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
GF, electronics is one area where my repair skills really suck. Old radios, stereos, and the like that need fixing run when they see me! Guess I can't complain - everybody has their gift.