Author Topic: Hold it up to a mirror  (Read 4198 times)

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
Hold it up to a mirror
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:23:32 PM »
The literal family truckster's factory mirrors suck.  Been debating replacing them for some time, but at $275 it's difficult to justify it.

Well, wife's Jeep had to go into the shop for a day, so I drove the Impala and she took the Frontier, and after a day including some groceries and getting the kiddo from daycare, she agreed, the mirrors suck, get the new ones.

Bought a set, finally had time to install today.  Didn't think to take before-pictures but it was surprisingly easy to install.  Found a video from an Australian company that sells similar mirrors for a D40 Navara, basically same truck, and it was basically the same procedure.  Pull the door-handle insert, pull the armrest, pull three fasteners with 10mm heads that were concealed behind these, pull the door panel starting from the bottom, pull the black plastic panel, pull and unhook the wiring harness, pull the mirror fasteners, and then reinstall in reverse.

The main parts are actually smaller than the old ones, but the concave parts below are what really make these new ones good.  They do stick out from the body more than I would care though.

Offline TWX

Re: Hold it up to a mirror
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »
More views.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Glad you found mirrors that worked well and it wasn't a hard job.  My new Ford truck has a similar style mirror which I love.  The big concave at the bottom really improves visibility and safety.  They do stick out too far so I know where you are coming from.  I almost clipped mirrors pulling into a parking space the first day I had the truck. 

Offline TWX

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 05:36:40 PM »
So in its normal state the mirror sticks out 16" from the vehicle body at the point which it attaches.  It can telescope out, and it is then a whopping 20" from the vehicle body at the mounting point.

I'm looking at those telescoping arms, and I might try disassembly to see if the can be shortened, such that the outer mirror housing and the door-mounting housing don't have a gap between them.

The lower parabolic mirror doesn't aim-up quite as much as it should, I might play with that a bit too.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »
Mine don't extend, base model truck.  Sticking out 20 inches is just crazy far, especially on a narrow road with no shoulders

Offline TWX

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »
Mine don't extend, base model truck.  Sticking out 20 inches is just crazy far, especially on a narrow road with no shoulders

They're advertised as towing mirrors.  Given that the Frontier and the Titan share frame dimensions and a lot of other important bits, the Frontier isn't a half-bad truck to tow, say, a car on a flatbed trailer.  If that trailer has an air deflector at the front then these mirrors might be very handy sticking out that wide.