Author Topic: Shop damage - check your cars!  (Read 1698 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Shop damage - check your cars!
« on: June 28, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
I didn’t take pics because I was so mad this morning. About a month ago I took the Caddy DTS in for the yearly safety inspection. It passed, and I drove home. I didn’t check the car when I got back, but should have.
Forward to this morning and I was changing the oil when I noticed that both my front fenders were bulging out and didn’t align with the doors anymore. Taking a closer look it seems that the inspection guy lifted the car on the front pinch weld and crushed it. Thereby bulging the lower fender outward.

It took me all morning to straighten out the mess and bend everything back to normal and align the lower fenders again.

A car as heavy as an old DTS is not going to withstand a lift on the front pinch welds. There is a subframe mount a few inches behind  the pinch weld and that’s where I had told them to lift it.

Should have looked more closely before I left. Will know better next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:48:10 PM by goodfellow »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Shop damage - check your cars!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 03:59:29 PM »
Did you let them know?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
Did you let them know?

Too late, the inspection was over a month ago. I will talk to the owner though. Just to make sure they respect my wishes next time and lift the car properly. It's the only inspection station close to my house and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an oversight.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 08:44:35 PM »
I dont take mine in that often but I try and watch what they do when they're working on it.

The worst offender I've found is the local Ford dealership. Every time I took the truck there they either over charged me or charged for things and didn't do them. I refuse to deal with them now. Reported it to Ford corporate and never heard a thing back from them either.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:22:16 AM »
Darn Ray, you would think they would know better.  Glad you were able to sort it out. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:46:27 AM »
Darn Ray, you would think they would know better.  Glad you were able to sort it out. 

They probably know, but were too lazy to do it right. GM does have a lift point down there, but they totally missed the spot with their setup. I'm just glad I have the tools to straighten everything back up to normal.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 10:39:52 PM »
When I took my truck in to have a transmission replaced. I made the service writer come out to the truck. As we walked around it I pointed out there were no door digs, dents or scratches. It's a 99

Couple of weeks later go to pick it up, and bigger than shit they fuck the driver's door up. Then I spotted a sheet metal screw in the rear tire.

I never got in it and dragged him out to let him know it was not leaving the lot. Did not jump up and down but was FIRM, with a slice of curt for good measures.

To their credit, they repainted the door, and was a good job, removed the screw, no leak good to go.

No matter what car I take for service it's the same deal.  Walk the person around your car and let them know firsthand.  You know and now they know the way it came in.

This has worked very well cause everyone is on notice. The wrench can fuck it up, but it's going to be fixed before it leaves ............period.

NO, do not remove the car. They give you the slap on the back, and a good buddy and bring it back tomorrow we're kind of busy...

No and hell no, this is one of those, you move you lose deals.

Ray that is fucked up matter how you slice it......fking people,
1776 ................... what happened!