Author Topic: Older GM Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia low side AC line problem.  (Read 2945 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Older GM Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia low side AC line problem.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 07:58:39 PM »
...  Given it was a Sunday afternoon and the A-team was not on duty I tried to be understanding but after working in a dealership with a highly experienced parts guy it is extremely difficult to find anyone at the parts stores with experience.

..........They were afraid once the regulars learned how good he was they wouldn't want to deal with anyone else. They probably had a point.

For decades I only dealt with two guys that used to work at the local "mom 'n pop". When the mom 'n pop went out of business, these guys had the knowledge and experience that would have made any parts operation proud. No other parts distributors wanted them because the store managers knew that they'd make the rest of them look like amateurs. They both were in their late 60s (early 70s) and had been in the business most of their adult lives.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Older GM Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia low side AC line problem.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2022, 07:04:59 AM »
...  Given it was a Sunday afternoon and the A-team was not on duty I tried to be understanding but after working in a dealership with a highly experienced parts guy it is extremely difficult to find anyone at the parts stores with experience.

..........They were afraid once the regulars learned how good he was they wouldn't want to deal with anyone else. They probably had a point.

For decades I only dealt with two guys that used to work at the local "mom 'n pop". When the mom 'n pop went out of business, these guys had the knowledge and experience that would have made any parts operation proud. No other parts distributors wanted them because the store managers knew that they'd make the rest of them look like amateurs. They both were in their late 60s (early 70s) and had been in the business most of their adult lives.

Not to take this tooo far off Ray's original topic but this is my experience exactly.  When Advance Auto bought out CarQuest the local CQ which had an experienced staff closed down and now they all seem to be just a walk-up Amazon or Rock Auto.

When approaching a parts counter I always lead with year, make, model and engine having the VIN if needed.  I can always tell an experienced parts guy who either has a full recall memory or always has a pen and paper to jot the info down.  Today's parts staff will only remember the first thing you said and then ask each question as the computer screen updates.
Nick
Yorktown, VA