Author Topic: Beyond Regular Maintenance  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Elroy

Beyond Regular Maintenance
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:49:13 PM »
As the miles accumulate on the 04 GMC, Elroy pays attention to age related noises. The rear axle has been noticeably louder which encouraged Elroy to inspect the axle bearings while the weather is still favorable. So up she went for a fluid change and axle bearing inspection.

Offline Elroy

Re: Beyond Regular Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 05:57:52 PM »
Pulled the spider pin and out came the axles with little difficulty. Both bearing journals looked good and the seals were not leaking.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 06:02:09 PM »
Elroy did however note, there was a significant amount of rust attempting to get established. Took this opportunity to clean and paint the temporary spare that hasn't been on the ground in nearly 20 years .

Offline Elroy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 06:06:36 PM »
This thing has a torque sensing lock up diff with NO CLUTCHES. Clean some parts and this thing will get buttoned up with fresh gear lube.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »
Good going Elroy. The basics always matter the most where maintenance is concerned. Good job on the wheel and going the extra mile on the cover bolts. Well done!

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 07:39:35 PM »
My 03 dodge looks way different from that. I'm talking way more rust. You find slight rust, I find spot that still have slight paint on them :))

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 10:08:38 PM »
My 03 dodge looks way different from that. I'm talking way more rust. You find slight rust, I find spot that still have slight paint on them :))

And I'll wager my '03 Frontier and '04 CRV look better than Elroy's.

The difference between Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Georgia has on vehicles.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:33:39 AM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 05:15:18 AM »
Elroy is fortunate that the spare tire hoist was not seized.  I had to use the cutoff wheel on a few in the past.

With the price of new and used trucks today I know my 2005 F150 will need to last me for the foreseeable future. 

Fortunately there is zero rust because there is usually very little snow and limited treating of the roads.  My usual means of transportation is a motorcycle so it only has about 130k on the clock and runs great.  For those of you who know...  yes I did change the plugs in the 5.4L 3-valve Triton at about 90k and only had two break but the Lisle extraction kit worked great.

About three months ago I noticed what seemed to be excessive road noise.  Diagnosis eliminated front wheel bearings, tires, road surface so I raised it on jack stands, ran it and used my stethoscope to determine it was the differential.  What I could not determine was whether it was the pinion or carrier bearings.  Not wishing to do it myself, my neighbor's family owns a local garage so I took it there.  They found the carrier bearings shot so I had all the bearings replaced - pinion, carrier and axle so it is essentially new.

Yea, it cost some but where can I find another these days?
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 08:38:03 AM »

.....Yea, it cost some but where can I find another these days?

Totally agree Nick. When we moved down to central VA I entertained the notion of getting a new full size truck, but after shopping around and talking to people who recently purchased new trucks I became convinced that my "old" mid-size 2003 Dakota 4x4 was good enough and won't be traded in. It's been garage kept and only has 23K miles on it. Everything is manual and no fancy electronics -- it will do for another five years.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Most folks consider oil changes as all the regular maintenance one needs. I always considered fluid changes as cheap insurance. My transfluids and differentials got changed regularly. until this new truck came along. $500 to change transmission and transfer case fluids. :-\. Just the oil is $200+. Those may not get changed as often as before.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 07:36:28 PM »

.....Yea, it cost some but where can I find another these days?

Totally agree Nick. When we moved down to central VA I entertained the notion of getting a new full size truck, but after shopping around and talking to people who recently purchased new trucks I became convinced that my "old" mid-size 2003 Dakota 4x4 was good enough and won't be traded in. It's been garage kept and only has 23K miles on it. Everything is manual and no fancy electronics -- it will do for another five years.
Call me in 5 yrs. I miss my Dakota

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Elroy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 05:33:13 PM »
While it will be nice when it's painted, Elroy wouldn't recommend this. Cleaning that bitch sucked.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 05:38:37 PM »
That cover looks pristine. Great Job Elroy!!
Up in PA, or over in WV that thing would be pitted to the point where it leaked from all the pinholes.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 05:41:58 PM »
Up in PA, or over in WV that thing would be pitted to the point where it leaked from all the pinholes.

Elroy is trying to avoid that situation by extending some life " Beyond Regular Maintenance". NEW trucks are expensive:91:
Attempting to avoid that situation as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:52:20 PM by Elroy »

Offline Elroy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 07:27:27 PM »
Well Elroy got it primed before the sun went down.