Author Topic: Murphy gas stations  (Read 1363 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Murphy gas stations
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
If electric is on the way, why is Walmart/Murphy building gas station/convenience stores? Do they know things we don't?
I don't see any charging  things being Installed.
Rich

Offline slip knot

Re: Murphy gas stations
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »
EV's are a pipe dream thats way over hyped at this point. How many places are having brown outs during hot weather yet we're pushing to get thousands more consumers online charging electric cars. We dont have adequate distribution or generation capacity for it. The distribution can be bumped up fairly quickly but a generation plant takes years to get through the permitting process and more years to build.
Texas in all its stupidity let ERCOT drop the ball a few years back and let the grid almost fail due to allowing the use of non reliable renewable energy to be considered "Firm" energy. a lot of people froze during the big February freeze. The Legislature jumped in and made some dumber rules and now were running diesel generators all across Texas just to say we have adequate "spinning " power. even if its not used its running. JUST in case the renewables fail these can come online and carry the load. Kinda hard to believe we've gotten that stupid but I can assure you we have. At work I'm running a 1.3 MW generator every afternoon from @1300 to 1700 every day. And the consumer is paying for it weather its used or not. Turning $4/gallon diesel fuel into electricity aint cheap.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 09:01:38 PM »
There is also the thought (at least in my mind), that while an electric car can be good for short trips/in town driving, we have a LONG way to go to have the battery power and range to have commercial trucks hauling goods for Walmart.  Having their own fuel stations, gives them more control of the costs, even if/when electric would be cost effective, their savings put them money ahead.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 11:08:41 PM »
I don't see any charging  things being Installed.

A drive through the parking lot will tell you story about the age of the vehicles that transport the shoppers there and if charging stations fit the demographics.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 04:32:10 AM »
Just saw a mileage and towing test on the Ford Lightning that was featured on youtube (do a search, there are dozens of them by now), and the consensus was that the vehicles themselves, and support infrastructure are currently not up to the task to replace ICE vehicles. All the tests were subject to a lot of frustration with the charging system, and to a lesser extent, the complexity of the onboard electronics.

IMHO the future of EV rests with hydrogen fuel cells -- easy and fast to fill up, and the technology is an improvement oven battery and hybrid solutions.

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
Charging stations are being installed, at least in Maine. We have 3 in my small town and I doubt there are 3 EVs in town. Maybe some plug in prius. I see a tesla parked at one sometimes.  I have one friend with a Tesla, his son has a Bolt. Thats all I know with an EV. Maine state Govt is giving out grants to build charging stations and Tesla has few dozen in Maine mostly on I 95. Some Grocery stores have charging stations.

WalMart is building gas stations because Gas Margins right now are huge, sometimes as big as a buck/gallon. They build locations that pump 30,000 gallons a day. Doesn't take long to pay for a location .

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 08:35:33 AM »
EV's will continue to sell more and more as prices come down because of economies of scale.  It won't be overnight and it may not be the long term solution but they will get better as time goes on. 

There is a convivence store right off I95 just inside the beltway that had all chargers being used when I went by.  First I had seen that.

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
EV's will continue to sell more and more as prices come down because of economies of scale.  It won't be overnight and it may not be the long term solution but they will get better as time goes on. 

There is a convivence store right off I95 just inside the beltway that had all chargers being used when I went by.  First I had seen that.
Shell is giving money to dealers to put in charging stations. card reader just like a gas pump. Pay so much a Kwh

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
I travel to the Carolina's a lot for work. That area of the country is covered in Sheetz gas stations and almost all have Tesla chargers. What makes me scratch my head is the split rail fence at the end of the row of charging stations that conceals 20kw Onan diesel powered generator.

It's about the same as one of those people who brags about vegetarian but then goes home and eats porkchop with the blinds closed. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
I travel to the Carolina's a lot for work. That area of the country is covered in Sheetz gas stations and almost all have Tesla chargers. What makes me scratch my head is the split rail fence at the end of the row of charging stations that conceals 20kw Onan diesel powered generator.

It's about the same as one of those people who brags about vegetarian but then goes home and eats porkchop with the blinds closed.

That would make one wonder.  Hard to believe the generator is there to run the chargers all the time.  Next time you see a car charging, try to take notice if the generator is running.  Might be just back up

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »

That would make one wonder.  Hard to believe the generator is there to run the chargers all the time.  Next time you see a car charging, try to take notice if the generator is running.  Might be just back up

It could be back up power or it could be peak shaving power. Some commercial systems have a ratcheted demand. The more power you use the more the power company charges per KWH. For several years it was cheaper to run our generator a few times a day versus paying the surcharge for power.
I could see the charging station being charged more if all the slots filled up at once. Holiday travel maybe.

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
20kw gennie in a cstore won't run shit, some folks homes won't run on 20kw, it certain won't row a of Testa chargers