Author Topic: Tru dis  (Read 1276 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Tru dis
« on: October 23, 2022, 09:53:35 PM »
Wouldn't this be nice
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Tru dis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 12:56:09 AM »
Good point, although a lifelong smoker that gets lung cancer...

I really hope this vote buying scheme, I mean student loan forgiveness, gets smacked down in the courts.  It's as clear as day that the President does not have the authority to spend unappropriated funds out of the US Treasury.  Only Congress can authorize this spending.  This is Unconstitutional, but so is DACA, and that's been allowed to stand so far.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:15:12 AM »
Can't argue that.

Playing devils advocate, if we have universal health care, would be no medical debt

Not saying I am for that but our medical system and its COSTS are out of hand also. Don't have the solution but I wish we would work towards reducing costs and not just shift who pays for it

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
The devils in the details. Shifting the cost isn’t the answer. I don’t have the answers either but I’m sure paying a lot of others costs at this point.   :38:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:36:50 PM »
If you signed a contract then you owe the money. Period. Perhaps if you were paying for you higher education you won't be wasting your time partying and earning BS degrees.

I understand alot of young kids were sold a load of BS by the loan companies, but that would be a lawsuit going after them. Not making taxpayers bailing you out.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 05:29:19 PM »
People have gotten so used to "free stuff" from the government that they now demand such largess as a matter of course. Lately I've been reading that some very liberal California counties are pushing hard for Universal Basic Income legislation at the local level.

Crazy times guys!

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 09:17:31 PM »
Since we're kinda sorta on the subject. What's everyone's thoughts on Pre K schooling and care? Right now preschool and daycare is costing us a ton. Should Pre K education be free like k-12?

Would I like to not have that burden sure. But the way the education system is, I'm at least getting a head start for my kids that I have control over. I get to choose a school/daycare I approve of and feel confident in.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 09:49:08 PM »
Since we're kinda sorta on the subject. What's everyone's thoughts on Pre K schooling and care? Right now preschool and daycare is costing us a ton. Should Pre K education be free like k-12?

Would I like to not have that burden sure. But the way the education system is, I'm at least getting a head start for my kids that I have control over. I get to choose a school/daycare I approve of and feel confident in.

My wife is staying home with our daughter.  We're thinking of homeschooling but haven't made any decisions yet.  She's only two so it will be awhile before she's kindergarten eligible.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 07:03:05 AM »
If you signed a contract then you owe the money. Period. Perhaps if you were paying for you higher education you won't be wasting your time partying and earning BS degrees.

I understand alot of young kids were sold a load of BS by the loan companies, but that would be a lawsuit going after them. Not making taxpayers bailing you out.

You are spot on. Pay your bills.  I have heard that the lending practices were predatory and if that is the case, go after the lenders and get the loans adjusted to what they should be, then the folks with student debt would have a fair price to pay.

And easy student loans along with the mantra you must go to college to succeed allowed the colleges to raise tuition to stupid levels thus making the problem worse.  Thinking a strong bank lobby has a lot to do with this problem.

Offline Barks

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 07:47:40 AM »
Colleges are complicit in this loan debacle.  If the degrees granted are not sufficient for the graduate to earn enough to repay the loan part of the onus should be on the college.  Let the college that "sponsored" the loan pay the difference between what the graduate can pay and what is owed.  That'll clean this mess up in about 3 months.  'Course 50% of the bogus colleges with bogus degrees will be bankrupted and good riddance, but still.....

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
When a colleges or universities know the federal government is going to loan the money to students, there's no disincentive to keep hiking the tuition rates year after year.  And that's exactly what we've seen.
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 07:14:47 PM »

My wife is staying home with our daughter.  We're thinking of homeschooling but haven't made any decisions yet.  She's only two so it will be awhile before she's kindergarten eligible.
Is she employed as well? (The wife, not the daughter :)) )

Most days Mandy wouldn't mind being a stay at home mom, but we can't afford what we have on a single income.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 12:51:04 AM »

Is she employed as well? (The wife, not the daughter :)) )

Most days Mandy wouldn't mind being a stay at home mom, but we can't afford what we have on a single income.

No, she decided not to go back to work when her maternity leave was over, but we can get along well on just my salary.  We're definitely older than you guys, my wife delivered at forty and I'm early fifties.  We had a lot of time to build equity in the properties we owned before we met, and we bought our current house at a good time.

This whole inflation thing blows for us, but it really hurts families like yours that are still trying to build wealth.
boop/bop/beep