Author Topic: Need burp gun advice  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Need burp gun advice
« on: October 24, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »
How do guys? It has been a long time since I have been shopping for or buying any kind of tool, but that is changing. My son has been working for the local Chevy dealer for over a year and recently moved into a lube tech position. One of the few tools that I could not immediately supply him to get him started was a good 1/2 air impact. The son will fund this purchase and he does not have deep pockets. My boy has enlisted my help to find him a good gun on the cheap. Overall I have always considered IR guns the best quality, but given his limited resources I am considering either an Earthquake XT, or an Aircat. I want a gun with at least 1000ft lbs torque and preferably a composite body for weight. I know both are considered cheap guns, but last I knew both had good recommendations overall. I would certainly consider anything Phil might have in stock used as long as it has the torque I am looking for, performs well, and is not totally thrashed.  I am looking for any thoughts folks here might have about what I should be looking at. Obviously cost is also a heavy factor but in no way the only one.

Hopefully, in spite of my long absence for which I sincerely apologize you might be kind enough to provide your thoughts and ideas.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Need burp gun advice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
Glad you dropped in Herb. Good luck to the boy in his new job. I can't speak for the Aircat, but definitely for the Earthquake XT line of air impacts. I have them in 1/2" and 3/8" and they have performed very well. They will provide a lot of torque, but only with larger shop supplied commercial air systems; which I'm sure that the dealership has installed at his location. Trying to run them on smaller 20-30 gal. homeowner compressors is not optimal.

Many young technicians I have known from where we used to live have opted for the Earthquake line as well. They receive pretty good ratings from most all online tool reviewers as well.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
Hey GF, it feels good to have a reason that is tool related to bring me back to the site! What you told me was what I hoped to hear. The Earthquake is what I am seriously considering at this point unless I hear something that should change my mind. I really appreciate your rapid reply and as always greatly value your opinion.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 09:29:21 PM »
I don't think you could go wrong with either. The XT series are good budget guns. The XT products I have are well worth their price. Being a lube tech for right now I think the XT will serve him well.

I have heard good and bad about air cat tools. Not enough good to justify their price in my opinion. Like any brand you have guys that will put their mothers life on them.

Make sure he doesn't let the techs get to him about not having the best and latest tools. His skills will be worth twice their expensive tools. Over time his skills and tool collection/budget will grow tremendously. And knowing his father he will be great.

None of started with a fully loaded snap on box. I started with a $20 Craftsman impact now I have a  Matco (IR made) that I'll put up against any gun in the shop.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 09:32:09 PM by muddy »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 08:07:21 AM »
Do the modern techs still run air guns ?  Most if what I see now is cordless electric stuff. I just approved a requisition for my maintenance guys to get 3/4 drive Milwaukee cordless guns for their trucks. $500 ish with two batteries and charger. I don’t know if we’ll ever go back to air guns here.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 08:29:16 AM »
I am sure most have cut the cord. I mentioned this to my son and he replied use is mixed air and battery  in the shop he works in.

Since my son is new to this I advised getting a decent 1/2 air gun first and later on get a battery gun if he stays with this line of work simply due to cost and what he makes.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
Well, after first talking with my tire shop guy to see what kind of impact guns he buys, then talking to Phil from here I decided to change directions.

I found a new IR 231 HA on eBay and paid $109 total for it. I think it should suit my sons needs just fine.

Plus, I will admit I prefer the IR brand anyway. Also, to get the HF impact right now would have cost right at $170 since it is not on sale right now.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 12:09:59 AM »
Most seem to have gone to a mix as the battery powered guns are so good for day to day stuff, and only when they don't have the staying power ones pulls out the air.

I have an old 2135ti, that when I left the shop I left there for a while.  It has a minor issue (doesn't always start on first pull of trigger), that I want to rebuild it as some point.  That said, since home garage is light and the whole work thing (can work 7 days a week), I picked up the newer Ryobi for home (couldn't justify the Milwaukee for my use and HD is only several blocks away, when new battery time happens).

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 07:43:42 PM »
When I worked at the Chevy shop there was a mix of battery/air guns among the mechanics.  Probably about 1/2 Snap-On with the other half a mix of IR and others among the air with a wide variety with a battery.

My first gun was an IR 231 which failed in less than a year requiring me to find another.  With the price of new SO guns above my budget I was able to find an MG725 on eBay for less than 1/2 the price of new.  While this gun noticeably weakened after about a year I was able to have it rebuilt through the SO truck for about $100 and get a loaner until it was returned.  I'm still using it today.

While the battery guns are better and more powerful with each update they always seem to require batteries that are not compatible with the other tools and cost more than the gun.  Even as a retired guy the air tools always work with my shop air.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
When I packed up and left the dealership after 25 + years brought home 3 air 1/2 guns.   2 IRs, and a CP with extended anvil for tire work.  Was never without an IR gun, easy to fix even without a kit.  Went through several CP 734, also easy to keep going.  Saw many guys get the super_dooper composites, but too pricey for me.   Still get out the hose now and again, they still work fine.  This year did some old machinery repair in the back 40.   Broke down and bought a DeWalt 20 volt 1/2 incher,  does 90% of what I need done.   Battery exchanges with my other 5 DeWalt tools.  Starting with a air gun sounds good to me.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »
After using the new gun one day my son said he was pleased with the gun saying he felt it was going to be perfect for tire work (all that he really needs a gun for at this point) which is fine, if at some point he needs something with more poop he will have a lot more experience and a better idea what that might be.