Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 3424 times)

Offline highland512

Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 12:00:29 AM »
Well you talked me into it (it didn’t take much convincing ) they will stay in the wrapper. It was the fist time I had really dug around this particular pawn shop. I went in for a finish nailer and walked with said nailer, 2 pairs of new diamond pliers, the missing 14 mm Chan socket I needed, 9mm raised panel sk wrench, and few other jewels. All for under $30, it made my week.

I was also finding quite a few full polish mm boney wrench’s. Anyone looking for those?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
maybe........i have some excess bonney and matco full polish. maybe we could fill out a set.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 03:35:30 PM »
Amazing find - congrats! The fact that the packaging is in tact makes this a special find.  Unless you really need the pliers, I’d leave it alone and just display it.  —- So cool!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 07:14:35 PM »
Channelock bought out Diammaloy back in '93 or so, that packaging is already old enough to vote. 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 11:05:53 PM »
Channelock bought out Diammaloy back in '93 or so, that packaging is already old enough to vote.

i hate to correct this one because it ends in a worse way.

diamond-> triangle-> cooper-> apex-> bain->
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 11:16:14 PM by skfarmer »

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 11:07:08 PM »
Nice find!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »

i hate to correct this one because it ends in a worse way.

diamond-> triangle-> cooper-> apex-> bain->
The back side of these are labeled triangle. Have any idea of what years that would have been?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 10:20:47 AM »
In 1981 Diamond was sold to triangle who owned Utica, herbrand and Bonney.

The last workers were done in 94 and the building diamond occupied was torn down in 96.

I could not see in my quick search exact dates but I can only assume that by 94 cooper had the apex principle down and had acquired triangle and trashed all 4 brands.

I think one could pretty accurately date your pliers to that 82- 92. I can only assume those last workers wer sweeping the floors, packing the last inventory and liquidating contents of the building. Makes me sad thinking about it as I have a soft spot for diamond.

Offline john k

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 02:02:34 PM »
My memory is out of warranty, and stand corrected.   They, the (suits) in the offices sure messed up, this and other companies.  Will pick up Diamond, Diamond Caulk, and Diamalloy whenever I find them.  Got some old 12 in. adjustables with jaws nearly an inch thick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:07:49 PM by john k »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 02:36:19 PM »
ha, no problem. unless you go look it is damn hard to remember who bought and trashed what brand and then changed their name again so nobody will remember who else they trashed unless you go look again.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2023, 10:28:27 AM »
As to the Diamonds in the package, if you need them open them up and use them.  While they are worth more unopened, I doubt they will ever be worth a lot.

OTOH, if you like collecting them, keep them as is

Offline highland512

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 10:43:35 AM »
Dont worry guys they are staying in the wrapper  :-*, slip joint plyers are one item I have many copies of. I will see if I can take some pictures of the back side tonight.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2023, 01:36:15 AM »
Great scores.

That set was a major bargain.
I don't like the later raised panel Craftsmans with the plastic QR button and lever, but the earlier pre Danahar ones are great tools.
A little clunky, but reliable and durable.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
maybe........i have some excess bonney and matco full polish. maybe we could fill out a set.

How's the Bonney set collaboration going? Full polish metric combos are a bit hard to find.

Well, the long ones are. I do tend to see some shorter combos around the web. The angle metric wrenches, though, are really rare - and expensive on the bay. If you guys are close to a full set check out Epsteins. They have straggler Bonney's for sale, maybe something to fill a hole.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2023, 10:28:09 AM »
As a kid of 16 I worked in an Ace hdw that sold the full line of Diamond, Crescent,  and Channelock pliers. I bought some of all three. They also exclusively sold Indestro sockets and wrenches. Bought virtually none of the Indestro tools thinking them inferior quality to Craftsman. Sad to admit that,  but hey, in my defense I was a 16YO kid and knew no better. Boy do I regret that, however it was 1977-78 and really I didn't have a lot of money to spare being I was only making minimum wage.  What adds to my regret is the fact that I got a 50% discount!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!