Author Topic: 2011 Cadillac DTS front and rear brake job -  (Read 3491 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
2011 Cadillac DTS front and rear brake job -
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:24 PM »
I knew when I bought it a few months ago that it needed brakes. The rears were very worn close and I decided to do the fronts as well since I don't want to tackle this job in the winter.

.. both from and rear rotors has slight surface rust, but they checked to spec using a thickness gauge -- so I only wound up putting on pads.

The rear caliper bolts were a bit tough due to some corrosion, but with the help of some Kroil they came out fairly easy.

This is why I like NAPA; they include very nice hardware in their Premium brake pad sets. Discount places usually omit the hardware

The slider pins were dry, and after a good cleaning and lube they were smooth as silk again.

The only real issue with these is the parking brake mechanism that needs to be turned clockwise to retract the piston. A special tool is required, or in some cases if the piston is loose, the front end of a pair of needle nose pliers can be used to turn the piston.

NOTE -- Just my preference, but I usually clamp off the brake line and open the bleeder nipple when retracting caliper pistons to avoid pushing old fluid back up into the master cylinder. Once I start compressing the piston, the old fluid just squirts into the catch pan on the floor.

The only other caution is with the wear indicator. The pad with the wear indicator is placed on the inside with the indicator positioned on the bottom.

The fronts were a bit more difficult because both slide pins were sticky. I had to remove the entire brake caliper bracket -- and it was tight. The loctite that the factory uses is pretty strong. Had to use my 1/2" drive impact to get it lose.

The bores were full of sticky gunk and I cleaned them with out with a nylon bore brush and carb cleaner. Then l lubed and cleaned all the pins and the whole assembly was smooth again. I think this is why I was getting some brake noise before -- because after this install, the test drive was perfectly quiet.

The caliper was easy -- clamp the brake line, open the bleeder and use an old pad along with some big channel lock pliers to push the pistons back in their bores.

Install new hardware and pads and it was all good to go --

No more brake noise, and I'm set for another 30-40K

Offline john k

Re: 2011 Cadillac DTS front and rear brake job -
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
Those systems that require rotating the piston to compress it causes no end of aggravation.  Looks pretty straight forward, and seen a lot of stuck or stiff slide pins.  New hardware is always nice.  Got a question on clamping the brake line though.   Hydraulic brake line is like hydraulic hose, and has a wire mesh for reinforcement, due to the pressure.  Clamping it might cause a later problem with calipers not backing off.   On my own vehicle, if I saw someone clamp the hoses,  would go home and replace them right away. 

Offline AnsonJ

Re: 2011 Cadillac DTS front and rear brake job -
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:37:28 AM »
I have a 2010 Buick Lucerne (Sister car to your DTS) and had to do the front brakes a afew months ago.  No issues for me, had to change the rotors, got the performance kit from rock auto for 150 bucks.  had drilled and slotted rotors and premium pads, all new hardware.  everything went in without a hitch.  those front rotors are *heavy*.  probably the heaviest rotors I have ever changed out.  car stops really nice now.

Anson

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"