Author Topic: oldnslo's running post of "What the heck is this dang tool for"?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline oldnslo

oldnslo's running post of "What the heck is this dang tool for"?
« on: February 17, 2023, 03:54:42 PM »
Soon to be added, treasures from my recently acquired box' o goodies, that while I can do research and eventually find out what it is on my own, I thought I would tickle the minds of this astute group of what the posted item is used for, because on my initial review of the box contents, it stumped me and I tossed it in a box for later review.

I'll label the pics individually (and post up over the next few days) so you can respond to any pic in any order.

(just in case you were bored out of your mind and wanted to check in over the following days)

Offline oldnslo

Re: oldnslo's running post of "What the heck is this dang tool for"?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 01:12:41 PM »
Up for discussion, is item A. Red handled, could be any brand, no markings. Is built stout, clearly a compression tool, but with that raised plunger, I don't really know what function it performs.

The only clue I can offer, is the former toolbox owner was a auto mechanic, A/C type tools, some exhaust tools, some Kent Moore suspension tools, Mac items (sockets, etc), but thats all I can offer.

Screwdriver shown for size reference.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 09:51:03 AM »
Up for discussion, is item B. No brand name, other than a typical tool warning of "Wear safety glasses", leading me to presume it's an impact tool or bit.

5/8" on the hex size. 9/16" for the spline diameter.

Hmmmm....

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 10:08:11 AM »
Up for discussion, is item B. No brand name, other than a typical tool warning of "Wear safety glasses", leading me to presume it's an impact tool or bit.

Hmmmm....
i have seen bits like this but have no clue what their called sorry . didnt older cars use a bolt to secure seatbelt similar or was that just torx

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 06:11:24 PM »
Up for discussion, is item A. Red handled, could be any brand, no markings. Is built stout, clearly a compression tool, but with that raised plunger, I don't really know what function it performs.

The only clue I can offer, is the former toolbox owner was a auto mechanic, A/C type tools, some exhaust tools, some Kent Moore suspension tools, Mac items (sockets, etc), but thats all I can offer.

Screwdriver shown for size reference.

Looks like wiper arm removal pliers.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 06:15:31 PM »

Hmmmm....

Looks like a "Triple Square" driver bit. Mostly used on German cars and trucks

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:44:19 PM »
Turns out that A are exhaust pipe hanger pliers. Think about that pesky rubber hanger. This pushes the stud out of the rubber. Like this:
I was searching exhaust tools for a pipe spreader and came across the pliers.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 06:38:10 AM »
Turns out that A are exhaust pipe hanger pliers. Think about that pesky rubber hanger. This pushes the stud out of the rubber. Like this:
I was searching exhaust tools for a pipe spreader and came across the pliers.

While I'm not sure about the pliers myself, most of the exhaust hanger pliers I've seen need more reach; hence they have an outwardly curved anvil.
You pliers seem to work on the same principle as the wiper arm removal tools.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:44:05 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
Up for discussion, is item C, a lot of 3. Different heights, different base diameters. No brand name, other than a typical tool warning around the base (contact area) of "Wear safety glasses". Based on the top bashing, it leads me to presume it's a hammer driven impact tool for driving in something.

Bearing races? Like wheel bearings in wheel hub?

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 11:28:51 AM »

I hear you on the triple square, but I do have a set of those for my German vehicles, however this one has 16 splines and is not of the diameter that would match my triple squares.

I'm leaning towards and A/C type tool and based on the smooth center portion, feel that it can initially line something up before engaging the splines.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 11:54:10 AM »

I hear you on the triple square, but I do have a set of those for my German vehicles, however this one has 16 splines and is not of the diameter that would match my triple squares.

I'm leaning towards and A/C type tool and based on the smooth center portion, feel that it can initially line something up before engaging the splines.

That makes sense. I've seen some very unique fastener technology in that industry.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »
Up for discussion, is item C, a lot of 3. Different heights, different base diameters. No brand name, other than a typical tool warning around the base (contact area) of "Wear safety glasses". Based on the top bashing, it leads me to presume it's a hammer driven impact tool for driving in something.

Bearing races? Like wheel bearings in wheel hub?

Interesting! If many of the tools are AC related as you suggest, then these could be pipe forming cones used to prep line pipe for fitting. Just a WAG on my part. I have no actual experience with those tools.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:59:27 AM by goodfellow »

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 03:54:22 PM »
Item C looks mushroomed on the third one, makes me think used with a hydraulic press.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 06:19:54 PM »
Up for discussion, is item D, a tool for Ford/Mercury products based on flipping it. You can see the models it covers, and my guess is that it would flipped based on the rim diameter or 4 lug vs 5 lug applications, but what does it do?

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 05:56:45 PM »
An update on item A, validated by this ad of Offerup: https://offerup.com/item/detail/c91d65c1-8738-3a9f-8187-798979602aab