Author Topic: A frankenstein M1 garand rifle  (Read 953 times)

Offline bonneyman

A frankenstein M1 garand rifle
« on: February 19, 2023, 06:23:03 PM »
Saw this on Youtube. Somebody took a WW2 garand rifle and turned it into a fin headed alien monstrosity! But the more I watched the vid the more I liked it, in some off-putting but curious kind of way.
It has a shorter barrel, reworked trigger, and laser(?) sight built into a tactical aluminum frame with picatinny rail and an adjustable AR15 buttstock. Plus a LONG suppressor to boot. No safety, shooting 30-06 with the original spring clips. One of the weirdest looking guns I've ever seen. I wonder if they got the idea from a sci-fi movie?

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A frankenstein M1 garand rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 04:22:39 PM »
Saw this video ( I'm a subscriber) and personally I do not like it, well I don't exactly hate the gun but disapprove of them having done this.
Why not just scale up an AR-10 to 30-06 or just go with a .308 / 7.62 NATO AR10?
I also don't like the Hcar that's been featured as well ( a current production modernized BAR ) .
I'm glad there's something for everybody but I am just a guy who will never approve of replacing walnut and steel with polymer and a ton of machined aluminum.
I'm also a guy who prefers aperture sights over optics if I can get away with it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 04:31:32 PM »
Normally I'd agree with you. My father was a Marine who carried the Garand, and I remember him going on and on about it. At the time I thought it was old, heavy, would kick like a mule, and only hold 8 rounds. I just thought, "If they could take the battle proven guts of something like that and modernize it - maybe that would be something"!

This one is based on a Garand receiver that someone had screwed up trying to mount a scope. So any collector value was gone, and nobody would want it after being altered. So taking it and modernizing it like this is OK in my book. But 30-06 is a rough cartridge - I think .308 or even 6.5mm would be a better choice. Oh well, to each his own.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 07:08:35 PM »
And it really seems to run smoothly for him too. :lol_hitting:

While I love the Garand platform this seems like the answer to a question nobody asked. Why play around with a classic when the M14 and AR10 platforms are there with readily available parts and they work.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 08:02:43 PM »
And it really seems to run smoothly for him too. :lol_hitting:

While I love the Garand platform this seems like the answer to a question nobody asked. Why play around with a classic when the M14 and AR10 platforms are there with readily available parts and they work.

I think the absolute ruggedness of the Garand is a prime factor. A normal Joe with a high school education car tear it down and repair it under fire.
Though the original guns are pretty much gone there are alot of places I see selling parts. If you can find a receiver, you can just about assemble one. And it only holding 8 rounds lets it fly under the radar of the high capacity mag vultures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:12:02 PM by bonneyman »