Author Topic: Proto sockets with an asterisk symbol  (Read 4493 times)

Snaparxon

Proto sockets with an asterisk symbol
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
I bought some Proto sockets yesterday. As I was looking through my extra sockets to fill in the two I was missing to complete the set I notice that I had some sockets with a hole for the detent ball. I took a closer look at the sockets with an asterisk and I realized the asterisk marks the spot on the socket so you know where to line up the ratchet or extension detent ball to hold the socket on. Is this common knowledge? I thought the asterisk was a symbol to mark that the socket was made by Ingersall-Rand or Pendleton Tool group, like the sideways S marks that Stanley owned Proto at the time the socket was made.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Proto sockets with an asterisk symbol
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
Common knowledge? Doubtful. It took me awhile to figure it out after trying to build up a socket set and found I was collecting both detent and non-detent versions. And that comes from a PROTO admirer who you would think would know better.

:-\ Dern OCD.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:52:55 PM by oldnslo »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
Never knew why it was on the few Proto sockets i have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
Hi Snaparxon - those asterisks certainly are the line up spot for drive tool detent balls. Proto manufactured sockets this way from the early fifties through the sixties.  By the seventies, Proto sockets had a hole for the detent balls. Some of The early 1/2 sockets also had holes for a slide bar.

Snaparxon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
Well I learned something new today :)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
It took me some amount of time to figure out the asterisk and then I was like duhhh. I have some sockets with the slide bar hole and I have to check the brands.

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »
This actually started back in the Plomb days.  I have a couple here, before the Proto/Plomb name fiasco, that have the asterisks for the detent.  I am guessing that it was started probably started just before the name change in '47.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
This actually started back in the Plomb days.  I have a couple here, before the Proto/Plomb name fiasco, that have the asterisks for the detent.  I am guessing that it was started probably started just before the name change in '47.
Interesting, I've got a single PLOMB 1/4 drive 3/8 socket that has a simple to indicate the detent.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
Good call Mr. Hickory. I have a theory on that. From what I can tell from catalogs and experience, Plomb sockets right after WW2 went with the dimple spot. In subsequent years, just prior to the Proto name change, the Plomb company went to the asterisk and continued on into the Proto years. I have some later Plomb sets that have both the dimple and asterisk on the sockets.  I hope Plomb-er can back me up on this theory. He seems to know a lot of stuff.