Author Topic: Toyota Highlander rear valve cover gasket --  (Read 2477 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Toyota Highlander rear valve cover gasket --
« on: March 10, 2023, 09:12:05 PM »
Not having too much luck with the family fleet these last two weeks. Last week it was the wife's 2012 Traverse AC system; this week it's the daughter's 2005 Highlander with a leaking rear valve (right side of engine) gasket. The thing started leaking pretty heavily within just a few weeks and got progressively worse. So I had to pull the the rear cover. It's not an easy job. It took me almost seven hours to finish everything up and clean the rear of the engine of grime and oil.

The gasket and tube seals were toast. Everything was hard and brittle. Considering that this gasket has never been changed, it's a miracle that it lasted this long. Kudos to Toyota for that small favor. That said, replacing this gasket is a true PITA because of the rearward tilt and slope of the right cylinder head. Without a good set of 1/4" drive tools and swivel sockets, this job would have been a true mess.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Toyota Highlander rear valve cover gasket --
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »
The tube seals were like concrete. it took a lot of time to get all the material out of the seats.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:34:11 PM »
Your daughter has to be spoiled with dad saving her all this money on car repairs!   :great:
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 05:20:18 AM »
Your daughter has to be spoiled with dad saving her all this money on car repairs!   :great:
LOL -- That's true! She's never had to pay for auto repairs. Same story for my wife. My wife's father was an "old school" professional mechanic and serviced his family's fleet regularly as well. So my wife never really had to worry about any car repairs her entire life.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:25:57 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 06:16:15 PM »
Nice work Ray!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 07:01:46 PM »
 Well done Ray, that looks like it was a real PITA!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 07:11:33 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm feeling my age today though. All that extreme leaning and bending for almost 7 hours put my tired old back into "limp mode". Just sitting in the easy chair today, drinking coffee, and working some amateur radio traffic.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 08:02:13 PM »
The bending and leaning over a fender is murder on my lower back. A few years ago I bought a topside creeper. Thats a game changer for me. I actually enjoy engine work now.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 12:28:40 AM »
I went up on the roof Thursday, then wondered why I was so sore Friday.  Went back on the roof today, and already feeling it.   :(
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 07:34:24 AM »
Great job!

I hear you on the lower back. My past few days have been a constant bending over and picking up limbs for feeding into a chipper from downing a 80ft pine tree. I paid someone to take it down (it needed to come down in pieces), but I saved on the haul fees by using my chipper. Ohhhh...the aches!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 08:19:33 AM »
The bending and leaning over a fender is murder on my lower back. A few years ago I bought a topside creeper. Thats a game changer for me. I actually enjoy engine work now.

That creeper seems like the ticket for me. Thanks for the advice. Amazon has a few to choose from.

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 01:07:51 PM »
I hear ya, any work on a transverse V-6 is a pain.  The 3.8 Taurus spark plugs always left me sporting new band-aids.  Even worse was a Ford Probe V-6, engine renewal took nearly double book time.  Touched on some of the Japan imports, but today it would take severe threats to make me wrench on one.   Glad you got daughters vehicle back together in a day.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 01:54:28 PM »
I hear ya, any work on a transverse V-6 is a pain.  The 3.8 Taurus spark plugs always left me sporting new band-aids.  Even worse was a Ford Probe V-6, engine renewal took nearly double book time.  Touched on some of the Japan imports, but today it would take severe threats to make me wrench on one.   Glad you got daughters vehicle back together in a day.

Yup, the scrapes and cuts from doing these cars are punishing to the hands and forearms. I finally decided to invest in a pair of black $17 Kevlar forearm sleeves from Amazon. They do wonders for resisting abrasions and cuts, and will launder easily. I usually wear 5mil nitrile gloves, so the hands are somewhat protected, but the forearms and elbows do take a beating without those Kevlar sleeves. The sleeves make a big difference.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 01:00:51 AM »

Yup, the scrapes and cuts from doing these cars are punishing to the hands and forearms. I finally decided to invest in a pair of black $17 Kevlar forearm sleeves from Amazon. They do wonders for resisting abrasions and cuts, and will launder easily. I usually wear 5mil nitrile gloves, so the hands are somewhat protected, but the forearms and elbows do take a beating without those Kevlar sleeves. The sleeves make a big difference.

Just wondering how you launder them? 

I picked some up decades ago, when I found them for under $5 each, but always hand washed and line dried.  (was worried about the stuff transferring to "good" clothes)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 09:30:51 AM »

Just wondering how you launder them? 

I picked some up decades ago, when I found them for under $5 each, but always hand washed and line dried.  (was worried about the stuff transferring to "good" clothes)

We keep a separate washer in the garage that's meant for extremely filthy items (i.e., dog towels/blankets, small rugs, rags, grimy work clothes, etc..) and I just throw them in with my oily work clothes.