Author Topic: Skill Model 1120 impact wrench  (Read 601 times)

Offline snapmom

Skill Model 1120 impact wrench
« on: December 27, 2023, 04:17:35 PM »
Skill 3/8 drive impact wrench.  I know little about this wrench,  had it for a long time, and it was used when I acquired it.  It works very well,  lots of power.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Skill Model 1120 impact wrench
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 05:07:19 PM »
I have its brother (top left). I believe the CP version is based on the same design. Not sure if Skil sold the design to CP, or if the patents ran out. Bought it off the tool truck in 1978.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 06:01:45 PM »
For some unknown reason, I never got a 3/8 impact. I have a CP air ratchet and a small butterfly impact in 3/8 but never acquired a pistol style impact. Those both look pretty clean.

I'm still a bit old school and run the airtools regularly.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 11:00:42 PM »
I have its brother (top left). I believe the CP version is based on the same design. Not sure if Skil sold the design to CP, or if the patents ran out. Bought it off the tool truck in 1978.

What tool truck? Was it new or used? Just curious if the tool trucks sold 3rd party items like that. Now adays it's only small items that they don't put their name on before selling it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 11:01:19 PM »
I like it! Nice compact design it looks.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
Sorry Tim; should have qualified that purchase. Yes, the impact was used when i purchased it from the SO truck back in the day. It was practically new at that point and the price was right. I'll have to look at the thing more closely, but I think it was actually made in Great Britain. I will check it out this afternoon when I get back over to the garage.

Angle head impacts were quite popular at the time, and as you can see I have quite few, but I have only ever seen a handful of these Skil impacts. Probably because the price was quite high when compared to the price of Japanese or Taiwanese imports of that period.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »
Had to do some digging for the old CP, but it is indeed a near perfect copy of the Skil Model 1120 that snapmom owns. If anyone knows the connection between CP and Skil versions it would be very much appreciated. The CP version was Model CP-723. It was apparently also sold by MAC as the MAC I-1123. The MAC version is just a rebrand of the original Skil 1120/1123

I recall that when I purchased it, one of the air motor backplate screw bosses was damaged, and I found a new one. I did keep the old backplate with all the ID and model number info. As you can see in the pic, the impact was indeed manufactured in Great Britain -- a little hard to read, but it's clearly visible on the bottom of the tag.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:41:36 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ray!

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 08:59:37 PM »
This impact resembles a Rodac impact I owned in the 70s.  They were painted red at that time.  Somehow it and an air drill got away from me. Used several CP impacts and a butterfly impact, in 3/8 drive, they all gave long service.  Nice to hear yours are still going hard at 30+ years.