Author Topic: It's not looking good for S必  (Read 1050 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

It's not looking good for S必
« on: March 02, 2023, 10:41:19 AM »
I read this in an Email I just got from HJE.

" In that same Garagejournal thread "consti2tion" posted some pics of an SK wrench with a "made in China" sticker on it. We'd heard rumors that their wrenches were going to be imported, but after seeing this we've decided not to carry them anymore. If they ever release a US made ratcheting wrench or ratchets we might buy those, but we're done carrying the full line."
Apparently the wrenches are now going to be imported, and HJE has decided to just stop carrying their tools.
If HJE won't sell them it's definitely bad news.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

Re: It's not looking good for S必
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 11:10:23 AM »
I swear SK has been the at the center of the tool drama world for the better part of 15-20 years now..............goodness Im getting old.

I love SK, I have alot and use it daily...after the chicoms acquired them I decided to no longer buy new, sorry old friend.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 01:21:42 PM »
Sad but not surprising. Ever since the announcement that they were bought by GoldStar I've been grabbing all the metric sockets I can find. Prices on S-K stuff has been skyrocketing. I knew it would happen so I began searching in earnest. All my local sources are tapped out. Ebay wants $10 and up per socket for used. Now Epstein won't carry them.

Not good at all. I guess I'll be transforming to a Wright man.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 02:47:16 PM »
Not too surprising really. Any manufacturing in the States is stupid expensive. Tools can稚 be big profit leaders.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 11:29:11 PM »
Like everyone said they've been going down hill since before ideal bought them then again if they were doing good they wouldn't have had to be bought out ...

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »
Sad but not surprising. Ever since the announcement that they were bought by GoldStar I've been grabbing all the metric sockets I can find. Prices on S-K stuff has been skyrocketing. I knew it would happen so I began searching in earnest. All my local sources are tapped out. Ebay wants $10 and up per socket for used. Now Epstein won't carry them.

Not good at all. I guess I'll be transforming to a Wright man.
I love the feel of Wrights wrench痴. I have never had one fail on me either. But there痴 something to be said about opening a drawer full of super chrome sk wrench痴.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 04:20:46 PM »
When they got out of the deal with FACOM in 2005 (right before - it seems - that FACOM got bought by Stanley) they were in private hands again and it looked promising. Then they ran into enviromental trouble with their chroming plant in Ohio I think. The EPA just broke them with fines and lawsuits and red tape. (I think somebody had it out for them). Then Ideal bought them in 2010 and it just went down hill  from there.

But I never thought the Chinese would get ahold of them. Once I heard that I figured it was over. Now about a year later we hear more bad news. I was hoping at the very least they'd keep the warranty afloat and repair parts available - just no new tools. But it seems that ain't going so well either. JMHO pieced together from different bits I've read and heard.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 05:57:10 PM »
I remember hearing that they intended to keep at least some production here, but it remains to be seen which tools those will be.

If the quality is still good and prices still semi reasonable I'll have no problem buying any S必 tools still made here that I'm interested in.
To me the bottom line is supporting American manufacturing / factory jobs even if they're owned by a Chinese Corporation because it's the blue collar folks making the tools I care about.
Chinese owned but American made is better than American owned but Chinese made.

Really there's not much except a DT120 kit for a 40970, and the 1/4dr LP80 ratchet that I'd really want to buy if production picks back up here in the US.
Otherwise I'll probably consider S必 a dead brand and just stick to WRIGHT.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 04:16:51 AM »
I can't actually find any examples online or on their site, so it's hard to tell whether stuff is still being made here, or if it's just a bunch of existing stock.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 09:39:13 AM »
I can't actually find any examples online or on their site, so it's hard to tell whether stuff is still being made here, or if it's just a bunch of existing stock.
Did you not watch the video? It says made in china right on the box......

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »
Did you not watch the video? It says made in china right on the box......
Somehow I failed at what I was trying to say.

I haven't found any examples of these imports elsewhere online, and I'm not sure if the US made tools available on their site are currently being produced or if they're just old stock.
Always lookin' to learn