Author Topic: Checking In…..  (Read 601 times)

Offline Conductor562

Checking In…..
« on: April 11, 2023, 01:37:09 AM »
It’s unfortunate it took Krusty’s passing to finally bring me back here. As many of you know, life did a good job of kicking my ass for awhile. Between the pitfalls of life in coal country during the 8 year on coal and Conductor Jr’s battle with cancer, it was a tough road for awhile. Things have worked out. The politicians moved on to other battles, the trains are still running, and Conductor Jr. is alive and well @ 14 with any chance of his cancer returning now down to single digit percentage points.

I have a lot to be thankful for. The Lord took good care of us. If he never answers another prayer I can never say I was dealt a bad hand. I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t affected me though. My view of life, people, and the world we live in have been forever changed, some for the better, and some for the worse. I’m soldiering on though, is hillbillies are the resilient type.

Mrs. Conductor has had a pretty rough time though. She became a shell of her former self. She tried multiple times to readjust to life after cancer, but she hasn’t had any luck. We sold our house and did well. Plans to build fell apart and my 1 year plan ended up being more like a “some undetermined point in the future” plan. I can’t go into too much detail, but We invested every dollar we had to set her up in a business that soon fell apart. It wasn’t actually her fault, but regardless, we ended up with nothing to show for what has amounted to an $80,000 disaster… thus far. There’s a lot more to the whole ordeal, but it really destroyed her psychologically. She got professional help and she’s finally starting resemble (albeit slightly) the person I remember. We’ll get there. Ended up getting a house from family on the cheap and while we’re happy here. It’s small for a family of our size, but it works and it allows us to function as a single income family so she can focus on getting better. The biggest downside for me is the little 1 car garage. I haven’t set it up yet. But it’s going to be a real exercise in efficiency of space and organization.

I’ll get a thread going for my project as soon as I get all the left behind junk cleaned out. Hope all is well with you guys.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Checking In…..
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 01:55:37 AM »
Thanks for the update.  And thank God for your son's great health news.  I was wondering how you were doing too, figured you'd check in eventually.  My wife and I now have a 2 1/2 year old daughter that's the light of our lives.  Becoming a father at fifty wasn't what I expected, but it's been awesome.  She definitely keeps us on our toes.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »
Wish you all the best in your journey, and hope things keep improving for you and your family. As to the 1 car garage, it's a problem I wrestled with for many years while living in a townhouse. I was able to have a shop and work on cars by getting most everything off the ground and hanging it on the walls, ceiling, or store up in the rafters. It's doable, and will make you realize that you definitely can work quite readily in a small space.

Good luck!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:40:43 AM »
Good to hear from you Conductor.  Think of you anytime a railroad discussion comes up.

I am in the dark, didn't know Jr battled cancer or that Krusty passed.

Glad Jr is doing well and am praying for continued well being as well as for your wife.

Keep plugging along, you will succeed.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
Sounds like you had a real "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." experience. I'm glad you've come through it. I hope things turn around for you and yours.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 01:02:40 PM »
Not really knowing what you faced , are facing or will face my advice is keep your spirit up and keep moving forward. Friends are a great asset and it can get real lonely in ones head if you let it.
Life is a learning experience and as long as you keep learning I don't feel any experience is a wasted one. Everyone has a different point of view but a positive attitude and never giving up sure helps me keep going. No matter how many times life knocks ya down the key is to keep getting up and moving forward.

Rich

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 01:34:08 PM »
Good to see you back, life can throw you a curve sometimes. Hang in there.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 09:50:31 PM »
no matter the reason it is good to see you back. the door was always open, glad you found it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!