Author Topic: Making my own version of the Blackhawk nuggies set.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Making my own version of the Blackhawk nuggies set.
« on: April 08, 2023, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks to SKfarmer for sending me this Williams NM51, it was on my 1/4 ratchet list but I never knew how small they were.

With this ratchet I had finally found my answer, it seems nobody else but Williams made a tiny ratchet and the wrenches needed.

I just scored this set on Ebay, next will be looking for the driver handle and such thro eventually the perfect case / box.

I won't need every wrench for the William's " Nuggies " set , but the rest will be handy to have anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Making my own version of the Blackhawk nuggies set.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 08:44:58 AM »
that is a sweet little ratchet in pretty darn good shape. i liked it for sure and used it a time or two but knew it was meant for a collection. looks like it will end up reunited with some of its family.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 04:21:56 PM »
I'm definitely glad to have it.
that is a sweet little ratchet in pretty darn good shape. i liked it for sure and used it a time or two but knew it was meant for a collection. looks like it will end up reunited with some of its family.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 11:34:56 AM »
This is what a midget electrical set looks like.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »
NM6 and NM7 sets. A little different driver and ratchet between those two. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.

I am not concerned about everything exactly belonging together as long as the markings are similar enough.
I plan to go with the NM-106 spinner handle, because I want the set to be as compact as possible and will be able to make that spinner handle shorter.
The plan being to remove the shaft and refit it further into the handle.

This is going to be a custom set after all, so I don't need everything to be all original.
I don't think it will even be in a William's box.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:05:19 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 02:42:05 PM »
It's missing the 1/2 and 9/16 ( though I don't necessarily need them ), but everything that is there looks unused.

I'm not sure on the era maybe 70's-80's ?
I don't know,  but it's good enough for me.

It has all 6vwrench sizes the Blackhawk nuggies includes and then some, probably a wrench to go with every socket the set will have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 09:46:29 PM »
If you are going for Williams, this is the set you need:

The set now goes from 1/8" to 9/16" shallow and deep sockets, along with small wrenches. I have been quite happy with this set.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 11:11:03 PM »
Thats a very cool inclusive Williams 1/4 set you've got there.
My idea here is to sort of replicate the 1940's Blackhawk 19nd Nuggies pocket tool kit.
Mostly just for fun and to see how comparable of a set I can make ( compared to pictures anyways since they're unobtainable ) because it's just a very cool little set.

I've already got my main use 1/4dr kit that I put together, basically for small engine territory where other small tools are frequently needed.

It may be a bit of a shame to relegate the wrenches to something I'll mostly collect, but I may find a purpose for it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:18:30 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 11:23:11 PM »
In case you're not familiar.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 08:24:59 AM »
Since you shown a Blackhawk ad, years ago I saw a toolbox on one of the forums, that was Blackhawk and looked like a cross between a bullet and an electrolux vacuum.

Never saw a picture of what it was supposed to look like complete, any idea what I am talking about?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 11:51:05 AM »
Since you shown a Blackhawk ad, years ago I saw a toolbox on one of the forums, that was Blackhawk and looked like a cross between a bullet and an electrolux vacuum.

Never saw a picture of what it was supposed to look like complete, any idea what I am talking about?
Yes the torpedo box, I think it was called the Nugget.
It was a 3/8 set I think that had a large selection of sockets plus the ratchet breaker bar and speeder...etc.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 07:28:26 PM »

The torpedo box came in two or more variations and contained different sets. One housed the portapower set and one had the 7/16 drive set.

The boxes can go for big money.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »

The torpedo box came in two or more variations and contained different sets. One housed the portapower set and one had the 7/16 drive set.

The boxes can go for big money.
7/16 drive ?
That's a new one on me, was 7/16 the standard before 3/8 ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 10:06:50 PM »
7/16 drive was something Blackhawk did. The idea was you could buy a 7/16 set and fill the role of 3/8 and 1/2. THey made two 7/16 ratchets one that was gearless and had a fixed length handle and one that was toothed like a standard ratchet that had a handle that could extend or shorten. The handle on 7/16 carried the torpedo theme as did the handle on the breaker bar and speeder. Pretty cool looking stuff.

The pix show the handle collapsed and extended and the 7/16 next to a 3/8 and 1/2.

There are plenty of other drive sizes in square drive and at least three in hex drive.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.