Author Topic: Pliers Preference  (Read 757 times)

Offline muddy

Pliers Preference
« on: June 30, 2023, 09:03:41 PM »
Putting together a small set of tools to hang my pegboard above my workbench in the basement.

Got thinking today... Besides Knipex, Channel lock, Snap-on (looking more for budget brands)  Seems like the aforementioned brands have them down pat.

So what are some other brands you look for when choosing pliers? This includes brands that folded up since I'll more than likely be shopping dirt marts and flea bay.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:05:42 PM by muddy »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Pliers Preference
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 09:08:57 PM »
Proto makes a nice pair so does Kline.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 09:18:59 PM »
X2 on the Klein ‘s  , I’d also be on the watch out for Wilde and Cresent / CeeteeCo Slip joints ……SK and Diamond are good quality as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 11:06:05 PM »
X2 on the Klein ‘s  , I’d also be on the watch out for Wilde and Cresent / CeeteeCo Slip joints ……SK and Diamond are good quality as well .

X2 on this advice!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 04:22:07 AM »
WILDE is great stuff, and I their flush fasteners are nice.
If I'm not mistaken the current Proto pliers are rebranded WILDE.
For vintage, Crescent / CeeTee,  Utica, Diamond, Kreauter, Pexto are all good stuff to look for.

I'll also add that since you'll be looking for used tools in the wild, if you see a pair of the Bernard patent / Sargent parallel jaw pliers pick them up because they're so darn handy.
You don't have to go and order a brand new pair ( Sargent still makes them here in the USA ) but if you find a pair cheap snatch them up.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 01:00:40 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it I recently bought a pair of Doyle 8" needle nose pliers at hobo freight. They are actually a nice plier.   

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 01:07:18 AM »
Well…….Channellock and Proto make up almost my entire plier lineup. A dash of Knipex here and there. I find Channellock to be good quality at a fair price between that and being a PA guy, I figured you’d be all about some Channellock.

Wilde makes nice stuff. They make the Proto pliers these days and they also make the USA Pliers lineup for Tekton which can often be found on the cheap. Never seen many Wilde branded pliers in the wild this far east.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll keep my eyes open and my nose to the ground for food deals.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 01:10:44 AM »
I think Epsteins have got the flush fastener Wilde slip joints at a reasonable price

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 01:11:28 PM »
No brands to be added, good ones already listed.  If buying dykes at the flea market, carry a piece of wire with you to test.  I typically test them with 10 ga or 12 ga unless they are small ones.  Same for strippers