Author Topic: Why we don't have small trucks anymore -- in a word (EPA)  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Why we don't have small trucks anymore -- in a word (EPA)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 10:48:30 PM »
I guess this explains why new full size PU trucks have gotten so insanely huge with huge rims and tires. I have driven new and newer trucks all having the huge tires and wheels. Being honest, I prefer the size of the trucks and ride height, plus 15" rim size wheels of my old 86 GMC and 72 C-10 Chevy to anything sold in recent years. For my money, real trucks have wing vents!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 11:09:15 PM »
I have to wonder if the new trucks ( not counting the high end trucks) I mean conventional 1/2 & 3/4 ton full size trucks can really do anything better than the old trucks that are like sized. Aside from better fuel economy can they haul a heavier load? Can the pull a heavier load? I know older trucks don't have all the electronics more complicated than power windows and locks to fail. Heck, even if the engine or transmission shoot craps they cost a fraction of what their new counterparts cost to fix!

Yup, I have zero interest in having a new or newer truck. I will stick with my old trucks. For me, I have better trucks than what is offered today.

In fact, for 10-15k I could put new engines, transmissions, tires, brakes and a lot if not all body, paint and interior in both of my trucks and they would look and run like new! These days, 10-15k will get you a used rust bucket with a shot to hell interior and over 100k on the odometer in newer late model trucks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 11:16:50 PM by Uncle Buck »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
Not sure about the actual towing specs of that era Herb, but I saw plenty of regular cab 1/2T 2WD farm trucks in the 1970s that were equipped with the base inline sixes (like 300ci Fords, and 225ci slants) that could haul large farm trailers full of hay bales or livestock all day long. They all sported manual transmissions and although top speed may have been very low, they definitely had the torque to pull those heavy loads down the road at 40-50MPH.

These days towing such loads with a 1/2 ton truck equipped with an automatic transmission is definitely asking for trouble. In my opinion, putting automatics into work trucks was not a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:38:47 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
Not sure about the actual towing specs of that era Herb, but I saw plenty of regular cab 1/2T 2WD farm trucks in the 1970s that were equipped with the base inline sixes (like 300ci Fords, and 225ci slants) that could haul large farm trailers full of hay bales or livestock all day long. They all sported manual transmissions and although top speed may have been very low, they definitely had the torque to pull those heavy loads down the road at 40-50MPH.

These days towing such loads with a 1/2 ton truck equipped with an automatic transmission is definitely asking for trouble. In my opinion, putting automatics into work trucks was not a good idea.

Agreed which makes me think the tens of thousands  more that trucks now cost does not justify the cost of all the extra bells,whistles, and bling and plastic that cost so much on today's trucks. I read just last week that most PU trucks today have coil spring suspensions on the rear instead of leaf springs. Pitiful if you ask me.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 11:13:28 AM »
I'm keeping my 2005 F150 SuperCab with 6.5' bed and towing package, purchased new, as long as I can.

Yes, I know the issues with the 5.4L Triton engine and replaced the plugs at about 90K, only breaking two which were extracted using the Lisle tool.  I only have 140k on it because I ride motorcycles frequently but it has always hauled and towed whatever I need.  I've read about failures of the roller followers and am very tuned in to what is described as a tell-tale tapping as they fail so I can address it before a fatal failure.

The only things I have had to repair is have the differential rebuilt because of failing carrier bearings, replace a stuck front caliper and replace the window regulators.  Well worth the cost when I look at the price of the new and decent used trucks.

I live in an area without any road salt or real winter so rust is not an issue and I always use genuine Motorcraft oil filter, oil and transmission fluid at change intervals.  Maintaining a vehicle is inexpensive insurance.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 03:01:33 PM »

Here we get a 3500kg (7700#) tow rating on a Ranger. Mine often runs close to that with either straw bales or recycled orchard posts in a couple of side hustles I have going on …..

I’ve always been a bit nervous about when the 6 speed auto might let me down but hasn’t yet in over 220,000 kms  , I do get the trans serviced every 100,000 kms by a professional shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2023, 05:02:13 PM »
My 82 Ford single cab one ton would pull anything I hooked to it. I6 and 4 speed. it ran @55mph wide open and got 10mpg. No AC and AM radio. A rather spartan ride. When I went to work on the road I bought an 86 GM 1500 Silverado brand new Velour seats, AC, Cruise it was nice. 75mph no problem and 15 mpg all day long but at 186K it was breaking apart. Frame was cracked in several places and the drivers door was about to fall off due to the hinges breaking out of the cab. Traded it in on a 98 GM 2500. Also Silverado. Drove that truck for 20 years and 285K, paid off my house while driving one truck ;) Traded it in the 2019 F250. I'm back to 10 mpg and pull anything I hook behind it. BUT its 75mph with any load behind it and do it with the AC blowing, carrying 5 passengers and not complain. Will it last 20 years? probably not. Did I pay more for it than my house? yeah. Would I go back to that 82 F350, Hell no.