Author Topic: Save a leather belt from sweat.  (Read 871 times)

Online ron350

Save a leather belt from sweat.
« on: August 21, 2023, 09:10:20 PM »
   I have a solid black leather belt that i wear when working in the yard. My sweat is slowly making the
 belt hard and white with salt.

Is there some kind of saddle soap i can use to help save the belt?

This is not a tool but it holds my pants up so it is doing the world a favor.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Save a leather belt from sweat.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 09:16:29 PM »
Here's a video on YouTube of a cobbler I follow that has this procedure for removing salt stains from shoe leather. And he goes thru the process step by step in the beginning of the video. Quite involved, but it seems to work well.

Maybe it can help your belt?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 07:02:22 AM »
   I have a solid black leather belt that i wear when working in the yard. My sweat is slowly making the
 belt hard and white with salt.

Is there some kind of saddle soap i can use to help save the belt?

This is not a tool but it holds my pants up so it is doing the world a favor.
You need to clean the belt with saddle soap then give it a very very healthy dose of obenaufs heavy duty LP, keep giving it the LP till it stops absorbing it.
I use the standard stuff, but you may want to get the liquid.
Always lookin' to learn

Online ron350

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 02:15:41 PM »
That is a good shoe video by Allen.

Using vinigar to remove salt is good to know but I wish he had told what soaps he used to wash the shoes in.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 05:31:44 PM »
Yeah, that pair of shoes were shot to crap, stained, and dried out. And he made them look almost new again. I especially like the part where he "messages" the creases out - by hand!- while they're still damp. Then letting them dry with the shoe trees inside makes the leather so smooth.
I got to meet him personally when we visited Virginia a few years ago. He let the Mrs and I walk through the back room while he took a phone call. It was like visiting Mecca back there!  :)

He didn't state the soaps? Sorry - must have been another video. I'll see if I can dig them out for ya.

Here it is:
He lists the soaps from 2:20 to 3:00 in the segment

Lincolns E-Z Cleaner
LEXOL Neatsfoot Leather Conditioner
A squirt or two of dish soap
In a sink of warm water. That's for several pairs of shoes. One leather belt would take very little of each.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 05:51:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
I use Angelus saddle soap myself , but I suppose it doesn't matter what brand as long as it's not the cheap generic stuff made of modern detergents and stuff.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
In the old days, horse drawn days,  farmers would wash the work horses collars frequently.  Doing heavy tillage the salt from sweat would make them hard and chaff the skin.  Saddle soap was kept on hand in large quantities.  Then harness oil to keep them from drying  out.  Was told by my dad, who did field work with horses back then, if possible a second horse collar was used for the afternoon work.  Cleaning the harness was only second to caring for the draft animals. 

Online ron350

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »
  That 3 oz. tub is the smallest size i can find.

Offline geneg

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 03:33:10 PM »
LEXOL also makes a pretty good cleaner.  I use it on my Redwings before treating them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 06:10:57 PM »
And Bic 4 is a great conditioner. Use it on shoes, sandals, even my wallet. And you know what a wallet goes thru daily - hanging out next to a sweaty, stinky, cranky old butt :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 10:20:11 AM »
And Bic 4 is a great conditioner. Use it on shoes, sandals, even my wallet. And you know what a wallet goes thru daily - hanging out next to a sweaty, stinky, cranky old butt :))
I tried Bic4 but couldn't stand the smell so I went back to Obenauffs and never regretted it.
It can darken leather so it's not for everything, but is some great stuff.

I planned on trying the Bic4 on some other things, but my then new pup chewed the bottle up and I had to throw it out.
Always lookin' to learn