Author Topic: Are non-metalic knock-out plugs allowed in a load center/fuse panel?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline torqueman2002

I'm finishing up an electrical wiring project with a neighbor/friend.

All that is left is testing the 3 new garage circuits and plugging an unused 3/4" diameter knock out in the load center.

I have the metal type that have several 'legs' for bending over to secure the plug. However, if it's safe/compliant, using a snap-in plastic plug would be a lot easier, not requiring the removal of the cover.

I realize this can be subject to the local code inspector, but I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline 34Ply

Re: Are non-metalic knock-out plugs allowed in a load center/fuse panel?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:06:52 AM »
I would think plastic would be better, wouldn't conduct electricity.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
It will depend on the arc flash rating of the panel. Usually it's just easiest to ask the inspector what he wants to see.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 10:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

It won't be too much more to remove the cover and install a metal plug, even if I do have to adjust/bend a few legs to secure them. After all, I have them and it's what I've done in the past.

I'll ask the inspector, just so I know in the future.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 09:04:59 PM »
If you are speaking of an unused breaker opening, plastic is totally acceptable.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 09:09:06 PM »
It sounds like you are speaking of the round metal plugs commonly used on the exterior of boxes. I don't know about under the box cover, the one covering the perimeter surrounding the breakers where the labels are attached.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline geneg

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 11:19:51 AM »
Square D sells them, so they must be UL approved.  Empty breaker slot fillers are also plastic, seems like the same level of risk.  Local inspector is only potential issue.  Just call & ask if you're concerned.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 10:25:19 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I was just being lazy. I will be buttoning-up the job today and will use the round metal plugs.

My neighbor will have the local electrical inspector check the work and we'll ask at that time.

This is Phase I, completed just-in-time.

They needed to add an outlet for a fridge in the garage to hold all the expected food they'll need as new foster parents to 5-month old twins!

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 05:25:48 AM »
Code issue would be is the plastic plug made for that purpose. You can get other style metal plugs beside the snap in kind.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 09:20:43 AM »
Inspection is set for tomorrow. I'll check with the inspector and report back.

I think it will be OK.

I met a licensed electrician in a HD that works in our town. He's not had a problem using plastic knock-out plugs.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 11:45:23 AM »
I just received a text from the neighbor across the street.

The city inspector stopped by while her husband was at work. I did see the inspector walk around the back of the garage where the meter and service enters the garage/house. I wondered why, then the garage door opened and he walked back around and spent about 3-5 minutes inside the garage, then returned to his truck.

Based on my one time experience with the 200 Amp update to our service & load center inspection, I figured that was par for the course.

After about 15 minutes he still was in his truck. When he got out I saw a Red piece of paper in his hand. The pass-inspection stickers I've see are a bright Green. He spent several minutes talking and gesturing to the Mrs. then left.

She texted me shortly after he left.

He failed the work performed on the outside/back of the garage. From her text, I gathered it was the service wire lead in from the meter box through the wall and into the load center.

We did not touch this part of the electrical wiring; in fact, when the load center was upgraded to 200 Amps, the work was approved and a sticker is attached to the load center door.

That seems to be the only item that needs to be addressed.

Stay tuned for updates.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 12:18:04 PM »
I texted my neighbor yesterday to get an update.

While this is big on my finish-up list, he's a new father to 5-month old twins, just replaced an aging used car, and is prepping for a marathon tomorrow.

So I can understand why he has let his messages for the inspector go unanswered almost a week now.

So it's a little ironic that I was concerned about a plastic knock-out cover; when, in the end it is a 'black wire' out on the back of the garage that the inspector flagged.

The information I have is second hand, so I may be way off on what is the real concern the inspector has.

Strangely, this GFCI outlet on the back porch was not sited. I recommended it be put into a Weatherproof Nonmetallic Cover.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 12:27:59 PM by torqueman2002 »

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 10:11:01 AM »
My neighbor heard back from the inspector. At issue is the cable from the meter box to the load center. It runs on the outside of the garage back wall. It is in close proximity of the back deck.

In the last picture you can see a green/passed inspection tag from 3-2021. This was for conversion from over-head to under-ground service feed. There is also a green/passed sticker on the load center inside the garage.

I realize this inspector went beyond the scope of the current permit, but his point is the cable needs to be in conduit because of it's proximity to the porch.

The home owner is going to contact the original company that did the install for further action.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 10:15:34 AM by torqueman2002 »

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 03:18:24 PM »
My neighbor heard back from the inspector. At issue is the cable from the meter box to the load center. It runs on the outside of the garage back wall. It is in close proximity of the back deck.

In the last picture you can see a green/passed inspection tag from 3-2021. This was for conversion from over-head to under-ground service feed. There is also a green/passed sticker on the load center inside the garage.

I realize this inspector went beyond the scope of the current permit, but his point is the cable needs to be in conduit because of it's proximity to the porch.

The home owner is going to contact the original company that did the install for further action.
That cable is  not fused. What year are you on NEC?

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »
That is a good point.

Inspection sticker is dated 3/2021.