VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

New project to be daily driver

(1/3) > >>

john k:
Went mad at an auction, bought 2 pickups, sight unseen, save for the 6 photos of each in the auction catalogue.  The 90s GM pickups around here are rust buckets in my price bracket.  Those rust free are way above my wallet size.   The 93 and 97 I won the bidding on are rust free examples, but came from a salvage yard so little things are missing.  Things like alternators, taillights, dash switches,  so the internet is again my friend.  Already bought a wrecked but running donor truck that is really proving its value.  Have the 97 at home, heard it fire today.  Having great weather here to do this tinkering, trying to decide what other project will vacate the garage, so I can continue thru the cold months.  I gained some storage room by parting with a 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super, big block, that would break me was I to drive it often.  The 2nd truck is a 93 GMC 4x4, with the higher trim level, with the GM Diesel.

Lookin4_67GalaxieConv:
You still have that '50s Pontiac?  If so, what's going on with it?

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: john k on November 15, 2023, 08:22:34 PM ---Went mad at an auction, bought 2 pickups, sight unseen, save for the 6 photos of each in the auction catalogue.  The 90s GM pickups around here are rust buckets in my price bracket.  Those rust free are way above my wallet size.   The 93 and 97 I won the bidding on are rust free examples, but came from a salvage yard so little things are missing.  Things like alternators, taillights, dash switches,  so the internet is again my friend.  Already bought a wrecked but running donor truck that is really proving its value.  Have the 97 at home, heard it fire today.  Having great weather here to do this tinkering, trying to decide what other project will vacate the garage, so I can continue thru the cold months.  I gained some storage room by parting with a 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super, big block, that would break me was I to drive it often.  The 2nd truck is a 93 GMC 4x4, with the higher trim level, with the GM Diesel.

--- End quote ---

Congrats on the "new" trucks. From your description it looks like you're well equipped to handle such a project(s).
As an aside, I think that those 1990's through early 2000's were the best years for GM trucks. Reliable as anything on the road, and easily serviced. Something you certainly can't say about GM trucks these days.

john k:
Still have 2 56 Pontiac sedans, no progress on them this year, due to working on the house, lawn mowers, tractors, put up a 20x20 carport, little things like that.  Somehow my 58 Chevy pickup got into the mix too.  Also did plenty of work on my aging fleet aka daily drivers. Bought an old farm wagon to use as a mount for a large PTO generator,  which came my way at an auction. 

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: john k on November 16, 2023, 07:23:10 AM ---Still have 2 56 Pontiac sedans, no progress on them this year, due to working on the house, lawn mowers, tractors, put up a 20x20 carport, little things like that.  Somehow my 58 Chevy pickup got into the mix too.  Also did plenty of work on my aging fleet aka daily drivers. Bought an old farm wagon to use as a mount for a large PTO generator,  which came my way at an auction. 

--- End quote ---

I fully understand your point about other jobs getting in the way of hobby car projects. Seems like most of 2023 I've done nothing but fix the family car fleet and worked on the house and garden, then dock on the lake and the new porch needed attention, and finally the new garage needed work. Now the year is over and I haven't done squat on my intended motorcycle rebuild. Funny thing is -- I'm retired, and should have the time, but it just doesn't work out that way sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version