TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MACHINE SHOP

Feeding the addiction!

<< < (3/18) > >>

Uncle Buck:
Since starting this thread I fell off the wagon and bought a 7" Lufkin mic, a 9" Starrett,  and am bidding on an 8" B & S and 10" Starrett.

I had not intended to also buy the 8 & 10 inch mics I am bidding on now, but reasoned that if I bought them from the same seller as I did the 9" Starrett I could save a lot through bundled shipping.

Speaking of costs, sadly precision measuring tools do not hold their value well if ebay is any indication of what one might expect to get if selling their tools. Literally tons of stuff on ebay, much for pennies on the dollar of their original cost.

If I win the two I am currently bidding on, I will have roughly $100 in all four mics with tax and shipping!

That will be for a 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10! That is just sad, even if they are old and used.

john k:
Could it be that the demise of the 1 and 2 man machine shops, CNC machining,  and repair shops that only remove & replace are the cause of these low prices?  I believe so. 

Uncle Buck:
Maybe so, in particular 8" and larger mics of every brand can be bought dirt cheap. Especially so for those without cases.

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: Uncle Buck on December 02, 2023, 12:43:20 PM ---What a stunning and enviable assortment,  all of them just top notch OCG! You mentioned and showed examples of one tool that is on my short list, the planer gage. I would like to add one for setting up my shapers. Do you see the round pin attachments for your gages as critical or nice to have available in practice? My use of a planer gage is a bit rusty since the last shaper I actually made a part on was was most of 40 years ago, even though I own two small shapers.

--- End quote ---

:great:

Uncle Buck:
With my tool addiction, once I fall from the abstinence wagon, like a drunk I go on a bender. When I started this thread I was adding one 6-7 " micrometer. By the time I have finished I will have bought a mix of brands used that takes me to 12" capacity. In one of the deals I have in the works I am buying 8-9 & 9-10" B & S  mics with wood boxes and a well used set of Mitutoyo standards 1-11" in a wood box as well. All three came from industry and appear well used, but for less than $60 to my door I will take thet deal.

Yup, the addiction never ends. I still have to buy one 7-8" to complete the set. I think that might hold me for awhile.......then, maybe not. I am itching to add a set of V blocks, a planer gage, and a set of adjustable parallels, so we will see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version