TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MACHINE SHOP

Feeding the addiction!

<< < (2/18) > >>

Uncle Buck:
What a stunning and enviable assortment,  all of them just top notch OCG! You mentioned and showed examples of one tool that is on my short list, the planer gage. I would like to add one for setting up my shapers. Do you see the round pin attachments for your gages as critical or nice to have available in practice? My use of a planer gage is a bit rusty since the last shaper I actually made a part on was was most of 40 years ago, even though I own two small shapers.

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: Uncle Buck on December 02, 2023, 12:43:20 PM ---What a stunning and enviable assortment,  all of them just top notch OCG! You mentioned and showed examples of one tool that is on my short list, the planer gage. I would like to add one for setting up my shapers. Do you see the round pin attachments for your gages as critical or nice to have available in practice? My use of a planer gage is a bit rusty since the last shaper I actually made a part on was was most of 40 years ago, even though I own two small shapers.

--- End quote ---

Most machinists let alone a seller today have no idea what a planer gage is nor how to use one. Hence they're inexpensive to purchase. I find it handy using the extension pin to increase the overall height of the gage.

Uncle Buck:
Though it has been years since I used one I don't anticipate issues making use of one once I actually put it to use. I didn't recall using the attachment pin, but intend to buy one with the pins when I get around to buying one.

john k:
I was trained by a machinist that was originally a watch repairman.  He thought in hundred thousands rather than thousandths.  I started using my father's 0-1 starrett mic.  Had it in my tool box at work, then replaced it with a General, felt it was worth too much to me to have someone (borrow) it.  So now my big tool boxes are in my own garage and the Starret is in there again.  Recently bought another set of mics, 0 -5, with inside snap gauges.   Used of course but showing no wear,  Mitutoyo if I recall.  I have a stainless vernier caliper, direct read.  Co-workers all had dial calipers, couldn't see how mine could be accurate,  mine didn't even use batteries!  Have reined the tool buying, some, what helps is to spend time in the shop just handling your tools.  So when you are tempted by the shiny stuff on the table, listen to that little voice saying:  leave it be, yours are nicer!

oldcarguy:
We have so much to thank for the knowledge passed on by older toolmakers/machinists. Nothing can compete with experience. Been there done that the saying. And some of the newer instruments and equipment are no better than old. Both old and new machines produce the same results. I have one of the latest and best CNC machines. Yet I'm quick to produce the part on my 75 year old Kearney Trecker mill than CNC. By the time it takes to make up a program and test runs. I'll have the part finished the old fashioned way.. Increasing the volume from one to to four. The CNC wins hands down though..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version