Author Topic: Does motor oil go bad?  (Read 398 times)

Offline bonneyman

Does motor oil go bad?
« on: January 21, 2024, 08:26:33 AM »
Was just in the car dealer getting an oil change and told him I used to do it but had to cut back due to physical limitations. But I had a couple of 5-quart jugs of 5-30 I bought some time ago, stored just in case a supply chain issue hit and oil got scarce. He said oil goes bad, every oil goes bad. Store up to a year, but that's it.

I was shaking my head, never heard that before. So I go home to check my two plastic jugs and noticing a slight color change to the white plastic, right up to the oil level in the jug. Am I out $50 for those two jugs?   :-\

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Does motor oil go bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 08:55:22 AM »
does oil last forever? i doubt it. does it last for a year, five years, 10 years? if it has been stored properly in an oem container i would have no issues using oil that sat on a shelf for ten years as long as it was kept, clean, sheltered from excess moisture, heat and cold and out of direct sunlight.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 09:56:12 AM »
The oil itself is probably ok but the additive packages can deteriorate over time. I remember this from a seminar in industrial lubricants. How this affects automotive lubricants? I cant say. I do have some really old buckets of lube that I wouldn't be afraid to dump in one of my hoopties. but the new rides get fresh oil.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 10:21:08 AM »
I probably bought it after COVID started. So 3 years ago or so. Still in the OEM container, sealed. Stored in the shop - it does get quite warm in there during the summer.
I'll find a way to do the next 2 van oil change and use them up. Hope that'll be OK.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 01:40:49 PM »
I've used modern (and older) motor oil that was much older than 3 years without any problems. I've consulted with a couple of industry experts that I have access to and the answer was that the oil will be fine but the additives will tend to settle. The solution was simply "shake it up." I frequently stockpile oil for my small fleet when I find it on sale and never have problems. One vehicle has over 300,000 miles. Go ahead and use it, I think you'll be fine.

Lou Manglass

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 03:54:10 PM »
I probably bought it after COVID started. So 3 years ago or so. Still in the OEM container, sealed. Stored in the shop - it does get quite warm in there during the summer.
I'll find a way to do the next 2 van oil change and use them up. Hope that'll be OK.

I'd use it and wouldn't worry at all.  I think oil needs to sit for years and years to really lose much effectiveness.  There's some threads on Channel 3 about this.
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 04:40:23 PM »
The place for an answer would probably be Bob is the Oil Guy (BITOG) forum https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

of course for each response you'll get three opinions but there are some really knowledgeable people there and some can go into really minute detail. Just don't mention oil filters, especially Fram.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 05:10:34 PM »
The place for an answer would probably be Bob is the Oil Guy (BITOG) forum https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

of course for each response you'll get three opinions but there are some really knowledgeable people there and some can go into really minute detail. Just don't mention oil filters, especially Fram.

I've accumulated about 8 filters. Mostly NOS from thrift stores. The Buick and van use the same filter and weight of oil, so was trying to cover my bases. For a dollar or two couldn't pass them up. Then coming out of COVID the prices went up to about $8 for them, so I quit buying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 05:12:23 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 07:09:39 PM »
I personally would use the oil and as long as the filters haven't been exposed to alot of humidity (not likely where you live) are no doubt good. IN the scheme of things none of that is all that old. I had an old Buick (56) that I used NOS filter cartridges in and they were decades old.

Edit to add. The quip about filters is because some people like to vigorously debate various brands (almost as much as politics) and Fram is a popular target.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:12:05 PM by J.A.F.E. »
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 07:47:03 PM »

YOU SAID FRAM! BUT YOU FORGOT PENZOIL!  :38:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 09:54:02 PM »

YOU SAID FRAM! BUT YOU FORGOT PENZOIL!  :38:

What is this pennzoil you speak of?  :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 05:02:48 AM »
I have heard 3 to5 years on motor oil and I wouldn't hesitate to use what you have, even older.  But wouldn't risk it in a valuable ride.

I am more concerned about using old filters.  Worried that if the paper is deteriorated, it will come apart and plug up oil passages.  Same with old air filters.