TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MACHINE SHOP

When Machines Come to Life.

(1/2) > >>

oldcarguy:

Boris Artzybasheff (1899 to 1965) A profuse illustrator of the day. From creating portraits to children's books. And famous for his ability to turn machines into living beings..

This illustration brought back memories when I was sixteen. I spent my summer vacation of 1960 running this beast,, The 1948 Cincinnati #4 vertical Milling Machine. What a monster, must have weighted a hefty 9,000 pounds. I had to use a step latter the reach the draw bar! After drilling a 1 1/2” diameter starter hole. I plunked a 2” diameter 6” long end mill to the depth of  5”.  Machining a 12” by 18” blind pocket into solid steel block. Turned on the water and set the power feed to 1/2” per minute. I think it had a ten HP motor that wasn't strained the least.. This monster produced chips as fast as I could shovel the chips into a 55 gallon barrel. I finished a dozen blocks that summer..

Factory photo

real Life

john k:
Did you find a match to the one you used, or the actual machine?  Did some automotive machining but never had the opportunity to run the big stuff.

gtermini:

This #5 was in the shop I used to run. The shop is now scattered to the winds, but I heard the K&T went to a train museum in Grapevine, TX (near DFW). I wonder if they left the picture on it?

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: john k on February 06, 2024, 07:24:13 PM ---Did you find a match to the one you used, or the actual machine?  Did some automotive machining but never had the opportunity to run the big stuff.

--- End quote ---

The photo is definitely not the machine that I actually used. Just one I picked off the internet.

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: gtermini on February 07, 2024, 12:51:08 AM ---

This #5 was in the shop I used to run. The shop is now scattered to the winds, but I heard the K&T went to a train museum in Grapevine, TX (near DFW). I wonder if they left the picture on it?

--- End quote ---

That's an old Kearney Trecker all right.. So recognizable by the huge bulged midway on the head.. Cannot tell by the picture,, but is it a #5? That's one big piece of old iron.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version