Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277488 times)

Offline Chuck Farley

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1335 on: February 14, 2023, 11:55:11 PM »
Muddy, are those golf carts in the second picture?

They look like the love child of a WWII jeep and a Kublewagon.

They look to me like King Midgets.   Believe it or no, sold as road-going cars in the USA!

Offline john k

« Reply #1336 on: February 15, 2023, 07:51:40 AM »
Definitely King Midgets, 1960s.  1 cyl. Kohler, elec, start.  Bungee cord spring suspension.  12 inch tires.  Sold thru tiny ads in Mechanix Illustrated magazine.   Folded in 1973 when they couldnt add 5mph bumpers, etc.  Got to ride in a new one, not as good a ride as a modern side by side 4-wheeler. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #1337 on: February 15, 2023, 07:40:53 PM »

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1338 on: February 17, 2023, 10:40:19 AM »
First pic might be an early Tesla :))

Offline john k

« Reply #1339 on: February 17, 2023, 09:41:34 PM »
The black car is a 31 model A tudor ,   the one on the lift is a late '31 Victoria, rare, and sought after today.   The electric car, note it has kerosene tail and sidelamps.   I understand that electric bulbs werent sturdy enough for automotive use, yet.  That car is about 1910,  electric lamps for cars arrived abour 1913-1915.  The 63 Chevy in front of the ESSO station reminded me of a town near here, streets would never be plowed until after traffic had the snow packed down

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1340 on: February 20, 2023, 08:11:16 AM »
I had a Vickie hot wheels car, one of my favorites

Offline muddy

« Reply #1341 on: February 22, 2023, 07:28:18 PM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1342 on: February 27, 2023, 09:55:52 PM »
The day of the death for the front engine dragster.....

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1343 on: February 28, 2023, 03:36:15 AM »
Braised Pork produced in USA for USSR under Lend Lease.

Offline john k

« Reply #1344 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:21 AM »
That farmstead, late 1940s.  The JD tractor is an unstyled 1930s,  the front wheels were steel, but were converted to rims and rubber tires, the back wheels came off a 1940sJD.   This would have been a flywheel start, no electrics.  They did invest in a modern disk and 2-row lister, the rest is all horse drawn equipment.  Still driving a Ford model A coupe, an old car by then.  Electricity still hadnt arrived, no wires to the house,  which is up off the ground to let the skunks and racoons underneath.  Pretty bare bones living.  Surprised there arent chickens in the yard.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1345 on: March 01, 2023, 08:02:23 PM »
John, That shacks up off the ground so the dogs can get under it. They gotta sleep somewhere!    :D

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #1346 on: March 01, 2023, 09:12:36 PM »
That farmstead, late 1940s.  The JD tractor is an unstyled 1930s,  the front wheels were steel, but were converted to rims and rubber tires, the back wheels came off a 1940sJD.   This would have been a flywheel start, no electrics.  They did invest in a modern disk and 2-row lister, the rest is all horse drawn equipment.  Still driving a Ford model A coupe, an old car by then.  Electricity still hadnt arrived, no wires to the house,  which is up off the ground to let the skunks and racoons underneath.  Pretty bare bones living.  Surprised there arent chickens in the yard.

Notice the left rear tire on the Model A, that is a belt pulley éfor running some piece of equipment on the farm. Jack the rear end up and block it with back axle up, attach a flat belt to the pulley, then stick it in low and just like farm tractors of the time the two levers on column (spark and ?) can be adjusted so the engine can idle incredibly slow rpm making it perfect to run equipment off of a flat belt just like a tractor.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #1347 on: March 01, 2023, 09:17:39 PM »
I meant RR tire
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1348 on: March 01, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
It is on the internet so it must be true...

"The Miracle"
It’s the Untold story of how a Mexican mechanic saved Ferrari.

In 1950, the Pan American Race emerged. One of the most demanding endurance races in history that tested the best cars and the most experienced and daring drivers of the time.

Umberto Maglioli in his Ferrari 375 Plus was leading the fourth and final stage of the race. Shortly before finishing stage four, his car began to fail. His Ferrari 375 Plus had an oil leak through a hole in the carter.

In the middle of nowhere and without a spare part for this vital part of the car, hopes of finishing the race were practically nil.
On the fifth leg of the race and when the car was practically about to stop working, Umberto Maglioli made a stop in the middle of the road when he saw a small workshop called “El Milagro”.

Maglioli was received by Renato Martinez who was the owner and sole mechanic of the workshop in the middle of nowhere. Renato Martinez confirmed to Maglioli that it was in fact an oil leak in the crankcase and that he had a "creative" solution to repair it in moments. At least to be able to finish their journey.

Renato Martinez caught a bucket and a big bar of soap. He also took three small bottles of Coca-Cola and gave them to Maglioli saying, "While you drink this Coke I will repair your car."

An Unbeliever Maglioli could only sit, drink the coke and wait for a miracle. Meanwhile, Renato Martinez dismantled the Ferrari and using the bar of soap began to gradually rub the carter with it. By friction the soap melted and created a paste that sealed the leak hole. Soap "cuts" the oil and adheres to the metal in the crankcase and when solidified it became hard as a rock.

Amazed, Maglioli thanked Renato and pulled out of Ferrari a small Roliflex camera which he used to capture that miraculous moment. Workshop "El Milagro" and Renato next to the Ferrari 375 Plus under repair were immortalized.

Umberto Maglioli in his Ferrari 375 Plus, finished the fifth stage of the race in first place and changed Ferrari history forever.

While Ferrari was a well-known car in Europe, it wasn’t in America and the brand was far from being an economically viable business. Ferrari desperately needed to prove to America that their cars were superior, fast and reliable. Winning the race would bring them recognition and with its sales in the United States, which would help them save the brand from bankruptcy.

Some time later, Renato Martinez received by mail the printed photograph Maglioli had taken of that moment. The photograph was signed:

"To my friend Renato M. From Umberto Maglioli. "
The photograph came along with a letter thanking Renato and said: "Renato, The Mexican Miracle that helped Ferrari."
That letter was signed by a man named Enzo Ferrari.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1349 on: March 04, 2023, 11:33:04 PM »

Notice the left rear tire on the Model A, that is a belt pulley éfor running some piece of equipment on the farm. Jack the rear end up and block it with back axle up, attach a flat belt to the pulley, then stick it in low and just like farm tractors of the time the two levers on column (spark and ?) can be adjusted so the engine can idle incredibly slow rpm making it perfect to run equipment off of a flat belt just like a tractor.
You guys have good eyes for details! And both are correct.

Uncle buck I believe the other lever on the wheel of an A is throttle?