Author Topic: Snap-on SPP744  (Read 10245 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Snap-on SPP744
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:01:04 AM »
I was just checking the Snap-on online catalog and the SPP744 is gone.  :-\  For those not familiar it is used to retain the ball and spring that actuate the pawl. Replacing the pawl without the tool is an adventure and with it pretty simple.

I have one but wanted to get a a couple more for some friends. If you come across one in your travels snag it if you need to rebuild a ratchet you'll be glad you have it.

Not my pic but this is what it looks like.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Snap-on SPP744
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. that looks like a nice little tool. having messed around with alot of ratchets I've had to make a few sheet metal tools to do the job that thing does. Maybe I should run down a Snappy truck and see if he has any of them.

What's the ball park price? Knowing S-O probably $20 or so.  :-[

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Never seen one, but I'll bet it wouldn't be too hard to make from a piece of steel pallet strap.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
They were surprisingly cheap - less than a dollar each.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline zktk01

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
I double checked my order history I ordered 5 last year they were 89 cents, I looked under the name Rat Rep TL couldn't find anything else might have to ask a driver about that.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
I hope they didn't discontinue them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
Just called the S-O truck guy who services my mechanic - he says they're available and are about $4-5. He ordering one for me and will drop it off a week from Friday!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
Yay! Although the price seems to have grown some but best to get one while you can.