Author Topic: Chevy small block 283  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Xtm10

Chevy small block 283
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
Good morning, I picked up an old Chevy 283 for some spare parts for a project I have going on I already have a mystery sbc in a CJ 7 and I have a freshly built 327 I want to swap in, the 283 was for any accessories and parts I might be missing. When I picked up the 283 it had a few brass freeze out plugs in the back by the crank that kinda caught me as strange being that the #’s in the block come back as an early 60’s 283 (62/63 maybe) when I got it home I figured i’d Explore a little. It has cast alum. finned valve covers with wing bolts so I easily popped one of the covers off and saw it was very clean under there. Which got me thinking this might be a recent rebuild so i’m thinking of taking off one of the heads, and maybe a bearing cap and rod cap to see how everything looks, and using it. Can anyone think of anything I should do or look at if I do end up using it or parts I should change ??
Thank You.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Chevy small block 283
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
My dad had a 1964 El Camino with a 283 in it that burned oil. He got a used racing 327 and swapped it out. Dang that car was a sleeper! Looked like brown cow poop, but man could it move.
That was in the early mid 70's, so I can't recall specific parts. But I know it slipped in and out like butter over a long weekend on the farm with no fancy lift or anything.

Thanks for the memory!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
It might prove interesting to find out what that thing came out of. I am sure it is likely early 1960's whatever. If it is a good engine it would be plenty for any CJ for sure.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Xtm10

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Yeah UB, I'm hoping it looks decent when I open it up. I have another 283 I rebuilt like 35 yrs ago, siting on an engine stand all greased up and bagged. I think that one was a 65, I rebuilt it and put a set of smog 76cc heads on it so it ran, but didn't really have much power, I also heard some funny noises, an old freeze out plug was rolling around inside..... ???. So I'd really like to get that out before I do anything. during it's 35 yr. hibernation, I did manage to find the correct 283 heads for it, and had them rebuilt and shelved them (20yrs ago) so if the heads on the one I just picked up are a problem I can put the fresh ones on. I also have a new rebuilt 327 small journal I could use if needed. Plenty of options, Thank God I save stuff....  :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »
Nothing like having a few spares :))

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
I think I would go with the 327 myself if that was an option. Better platform if you ask me. the 283 is a solid runner but would be my second choice.

Offline Xtm10

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
UB, i’ve Been going back and forth with it myself. I just had the 327 short block assembled at the machine shop, and the heads are still in the bags from when they were done. So I still have to finish the assembly and then break it in. The 283, if everything checks out wound be ready to drop in. It came with all The brackets and p/s pump and starter. But as far as which one is a better engine, without a doubt the 327. If I can get 200-225 hp out of the 283 that would be plenty. A 327 in a CJ is kind of a waste.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »
UB, i’ve Been going back and forth with it myself. I just had the 327 short block assembled at the machine shop, and the heads are still in the bags from when they were done. So I still have to finish the assembly and then break it in. The 283, if everything checks out wound be ready to drop in. It came with all The brackets and p/s pump and starter. But as far as which one is a better engine, without a doubt the 327. If I can get 200-225 hp out of the 283 that would be plenty. A 327 in a CJ is kind of a waste.

Overkill for sure.