Author Topic: Long Beach Swap 9/9 Edition  (Read 8847 times)

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Long Beach Swap 9/9 Edition
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
Long Beach was another fun time. It used to be held 14 times a year then 13 now 12 (second Sunday of the month). I have to stop buying little wrenches. I really do.

Plomb offset screwdriver, Meteor ignition wrench, Williams ignition wrench, parts picker, Blue Point DOE, Plomb extension, unmarked 9/32 x 1/4 adapter, Plomb socket, 3 unusual Craftsman ignition wrenches, a Dunlop pressed steel, a piano tuning gauge (no idea why I can not play a piano and pretty much have a tin ear so couldn't tune one) and a Williams ignition wrench set missing two wrenches.

And four small C clamps.

Hargrove 1 1/2 No 566.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Long Beach Swap 9/9 Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
I've got a Plomb offset screwdriver like that. It's a nice size and feel for an offset driver.

What sizes Williams wrenches you needing? I have a hodge-podge set of wrenches like that in the work truck, some are Williams I think. I keep 'em around in case I have a sheet metal screw in a bad place, but I've got several. Might have the one(s) you need.

And Todd was looking for WF- tools some time ago. Wanted pictures for his site. Might want to PM him see if that extension is one he needs.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
Great score as always for the alien. Those V-cut CM's are nice and are they plain steel finish? Post up the missing sizes on the Williams.

Offline 3bay

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:38 PM »
Jafe, nice “little” haul there.

Any thoughts on the unmarked adapter? Would you mind a photo or two of the adapter and the tuning gauge? As a piano player, it interests me a bit.

Back in high school they used to bring in a blind piano tuner. I’m sure he was great at his job,but I’ll never forget this time in the theater balcony with the band during a play rehearsal. I was on another instrument during that but I remember the tuner man getting helped to the piano, which was right next to the balcony railing. There were so many equipment cables and cords across the floor, , music stands, hardware protruding from the floor which previously had seating, not to mention all kinds of other crap around, it was tripping hazard central. It was hard enough for us to slip around up there in the dark. I think he tripped on something and I just remember shaking my head in disbelief thinking it wasn’t safe.  :-[

Anyway sorry, just a strange memory.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »
Great score as always for the alien. Those V-cut CM's are nice and are they plain steel finish? Post up the missing sizes on the Williams.

Thanks guys!

The Craftsman seem to be plain steel. The beams have a very slight crown to them.

In looking closer at the Williams wrenches I think the set may be complete. That or it's missing 5/32 and 1/8.

3bay if you want the gauge PM your address.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:07:08 AM »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »

In looking closer at the Williams wrenches I think the set may be complete. That or it's missing 5/32 and 1/8.

10-4 I'll take a look today for ya.

Nope - I don't go that small. The 1/8" combo on the end is there because I have nowhere else to put it without it getting lost.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:59:01 AM by bonneyman »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
Some years ago I passed on what I recall as being that same Williams set in the pouch because I did not need it that that (though I was sorely tempted) I recall that set was also missing like one or two wrenches, or at least one or two slots were empty in the pouch so I assumed the wrenches missing. Now after seeing your set I am not so sure the set was not complete! Had I know it was complete that would have been enough to make me buy it.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
I only have an 1112 3/16 and 1120 5/16 in the Williams. Do you any gaps in the wrench numbers?

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
bonneyman thanks for checking. Best to keep that little 1/8 somewhere safe it could easily get lost.

DeadNutz thank you but I am really beginning to think the set is complete and there are no gaps. But I do have a few extra of the Williams if you need some.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
Thanks, I will PM you.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Ign point files often get robbed out of those wrench sets for other uses, leaving the new owner to think a wrench size is missing.

Just sayin'......

;)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Ign point files often get robbed out of those wrench sets for other uses, leaving the new owner to think a wrench size is missing.

Just sayin'......

;)
I was just thinking the same thing.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
The smallest fastener I normally encounter is 1/4", so most of my "small" tools stop at that size. But I try and accumulate every different style of wrench in 1/4" and 5/16" just because I never know what weird or tight spot I'll find a screw. Ignition wrenches fill that bill nicely.
heck, I even "make" wrenches if I can't find one, like those two 90 deg 5/16"ers in the middle of the pic.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
It could have had a point file, a screw starter. I looked up the set and Williams doesn't seem to offer it but the couple photos I found showed the last two pockets empty. The smallest size is 3/16 and 5/32 and 1/8 are not common to find so that may well be the set. I'm quite pleased either way.